Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu is not suitable as productive OS and has a major issue.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

27 updates. No issues. I think it's fixed?

Comment

27 updates. No issues. I think it's fixed?
      And THAT may be the "issue"! If you've followed the posts, the behavior has been inconsistent. Yesterday, 24 updates came down OK on my PC with Discover, but on the laptop it (Discover) froze and I had to use the command line to get them. It may or may not be fixed at the moment, but based on your one data point, we can't really conclude anything.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

no Plasma updates yet, 5.12.7 was just released like, today
        https://www.kde.org/announcements/pl...-changelog.php

If you look, the updates from yesterday were Libreoffice stuff.

Probably time to flog Kubuntu devs with wet noodles to get them moving on packaging it all up.

This thread is...........

Click image for larger version

Name:	86cfe8a17cdab93ea07a4444f5d1e281--love-you-very-much-i-love-you.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	643996

and y'all been................
        Click image for larger version

Name:	7f48fead.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	643995

Comment

Wewantperfection!Whendowewantit?Now!
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
            I'm sorry, but that is so weird in so many ways. The OS is neither cool nor uncool in appearance. The GUI is another story. But there are a lot of GUI applications that call, combine, or directly use command line scripts and compiled programs. The command line interacts with the OS like any other application. It is not backwards by any means, in fact it is extremely powerful, and from that respect it is extremely cool

Discover - again beating a dead horse - IS very definitely, absolutely, flawed. It does one thing accurately and that is to set a notice when software updates are available. It may not work well from that point to actually process the updates, but that is immaterial because there are intrinsically better (in my opinion) and definitely faster ways to process those updates. Unlike Windows, you are not locked in to a specific technology/methodology that has been dictated to you - or me. This OS (Linux) and by extension this distribution (Kubuntu) is the best, coolest, most overall freely usable technology on the planet. And I use Windows at work, have Linux Mint on my personal laptop, and have used in times past a whole bunch of Linux and BSD distributions.

Kubuntu has no suitability issues - at all.
            Kubuntu is cool. To me also. I myself have no problems now using apt until discover is an option again.
            To most users of an OS it has 'simply' to work, though. They are focused on running applications and how THEY work to get used to them.

Administrating around 40 w7 clients I could not 'sell' an OS that has to be updated via command lines, though. Regardless of its name.
            They want to click on that what prompts for updates, not thinking about. Would need to write an update script /scheduled task therefore and uninstall discover

I recommend Kubuntu to some who wanted an alternative at home. The first reaction was: Wow Cool design and also discover fresh and modern looking with clear progress bars and stuff.

If some hardware would not run, OK. If some other apps would be buggy, OK...but discover? Nobody would try to avoid to use it at first place...it prompts on its own to be clicked...
            Last edited by Vaira; Sep 26, 2018, 09:25 AM.

Comment

No one's asking you to be the marketing department for Kubuntu. There are many ways to do things in Linux. If you want a GUI to install updates you can use Synaptic (for instance) to actually perform the update. Kubuntu is not Windows, Windows is not Kubuntu.

The power of Linux lies in its alternatives.

It's what attracted me away from Windows as a personal OS back when Windows 98 was a thing.

The fact is, and it is a well known fact, that Discover has some way to go until it does all it's supposed to do. No one's making excuses, it's just reality. There are plenty of other ways to fill in the gap. And for updates, the command line is fast, simple, and reliable, but it's not the only way to do anything.
              Last edited by jglen490; Sep 26, 2018, 12:43 PM.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Wow... it has been a long time since i logged on here... and there are a lot with bees in the bonnets. After reading this entire thread, why is everyone taking this personally? The OP has valid points. The non valid points are the elitist that say dont like it then hit the road. I really do not care about your elitism and hurt feelings that someone is attacking your precious. However, discover is utter crap. Being working with linux for 20+ years and Unix for 24+ years, I can get around most issues. Using Discover for updates is just bad form.

It should be Muon like it was ages ago, or just call the sudo apt update/upgrade behind the scenes.

But it is time to get over this "linux has bugs and it isnt for newbies" attitude. Well newsflash everyone: the world has woke up to Linux in its various forms. My family uses linux. My 72 year old dad uses linux... but he never touches the command line and should not be expected to. Now with Valve and Steam Play, we are going to get a large influx of new users. Like it or not. If you do not want to help, then stay on the sidelines, but do not attack like some of the posts i have read here. As for stability, I have always loved kde, only since 18.04 have I been able to run it full time again with nvidia... and only with the latest proprietary drivers. If someone would have taken 5 mins, they would have known anything from Maxwell on does not like the OSS nvidia drivers.

Black screen is the exact issue... and hard locks. I am not saying this is the problem, but it sounds exactly what i experienced. It was so bad at one point that i had to install the proprietary drivers on the command line before allowing kde to even start. I am guessing that the kernel was updated and depending on which nvidia driver that was installed, dkms may have got uninstalled and therefore no xwindows on reboot.

But no, everyone on this thread decided to pile on and blame the OP. I am not going to call out anyone specific, but certain posters in this thread got completely out of line. What took me less than 5 mins diagnosing their particular issue with the blank screen, others spend many minutes just stating why the OP should not have said anything. They had valid points. Honestly, if that post upset you, then maybe you should find something else to do than to troll forums looking for posters to jump on to. Now Kubuntu isnt alone in this... Gnome is particularly bad at this. I have had several discussions on discuss calling out other bad actors. It is these kinds of people that scare newbies away... and frankly, we need newbies.

Everyone here was a newbie at one time. You didnt wake up and was a freaking expert in Linux/Ubuntu/KDE? You are not Mork from Ork (if you know that reference, then you have an idea how old I am... and how long i have been doing this). The OP was a little upset and rightfully so... can you imagine what a new user would think?

I am done ranting now... everyone be civil and stop wearing your hearts on your sleeve. sheeze...

Comment

I don't think anyone is laying blame on the OP. What most of us are trying to do is show that there are, in fact, alternatives to the very real problem that is Discover. Some alternatives are found at the command line, others are found in other GUI products other than Discover.
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

After reading this entire thread, why is everyone taking this personally?
                    Not sure we're reading the same thread.
                    https://madmage999.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think it has a lot to do with the way the OP was stated:
                      "Kubuntu is not suitable as a productive OS..."
                      And the hyperbole in the rest of the post. That being said, I think everything constructive that can be said has probably been said and I would be quite happy if this thread were to be closed.
                      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Why aren't you guys being nice? You elitists! I am the nice police and I represent the entire newbie herd! We are descending on you now so you better start bending over backwards post-haste!
                        https://madmage999.blogspot.com/

Comment

I used Kubuntu for a number of years now, and still like it.
                          The first thing I do after a fresh install, is to install synaptic because I don't like discover at all.

I now made some kind of post-install script to finetune everything to my liking, install some extra packages, install the brother printer driver and so on.
                          So a linux fresh install, including all my personal apps and finetuning is really quick.

Where linux really shines compared to Windows is the updates, they are quick, and also all of your applications get an upgrade.
                          My laptop is dual boot W10/linux, I only use windows about once every 3 months to run an application to draw electric diagrams according to Belgian rules.
                          Each time I want to use it, I have to wait a couple of hours for windows to finish OS updating :-( not so productive IMO
                          Linux updates only take one or 2 minutes for OS + all applications, even when KDE Neon loads a new plasma release with lots of updates
                          Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
                          linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
                          A good place to start:
                          Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                            No one's asking you to be the marketing department for Kubuntu.
                            I know.
                            But the KDE team suffers from organisation and prioritization issues...
                            This opinion comes from somebody who is not involved (a Kubuntu newbie) somebody that has an unbiased and untied opinion made from a professional base, though.
                            I can empathize with others and their situation whereas some members here have problems doing so.
                            I administrate 40 clients and know from own experiences what are real needs of those...and how do they reflect a new OS.

I can differentiate between 'attacking' an OS and attacking a person...

My intention to say that is not to be 'somebody above or a troll'...I say that because I think some things are wrong and when eliminated Kubuntu would be more of success.
                            I know some facts of history of the KDE team and I know that from my perspective they do not focus on priorities.

Another example is the tearing issue of KDE.
                            The first negative thing that I noticed at Kubuntu was tearing when moving windows and tearing when playing a movie...

The fix is simple but still to be applied manually. Locate /etc/profile.d/kwin.sh. If not present create kwin.sh there.
                            Edit / create with kate.
                            Code:
                            [COLOR=#0000B3][FONT=Consolas]export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"[/FONT][/COLOR]

It's been filed a bug report, but no fix yet.
                            Hey.. this tearing is noticeable and annoying it took 5 minutes until I noticed. Discover is also an app that has the job to present Kubuntu to people by providing lots of free apps to be installed.

Some days ago...the updates...it were libre office updates.
                            If I would be marketing department I would declare discover and the tearing fix to top priority. The reason for it is simple. Both are in major focus.

Originally posted by doctorx View Post
                            Wow... it has been a long time since i logged on here... and there are a lot with bees in the bonnets. After reading this entire thread, why is everyone taking this personally? The OP has valid points. The non valid points are the elitist that say dont like it then hit the road. I really do not care about your elitism and hurt feelings that someone is attacking your precious. However, discover is utter crap. Being working with linux for 20+ years and Unix for 24+ years, I can get around most issues. Using Discover for updates is just bad form.

It should be Muon like it was ages ago, or just call the sudo apt update/upgrade behind the scenes.

But it is time to get over this "linux has bugs and it isnt for newbies" attitude. Well newsflash everyone: the world has woke up to Linux in its various forms. My family uses linux. My 72 year old dad uses linux... but he never touches the command line and should not be expected to. Now with Valve and Steam Play, we are going to get a large influx of new users. Like it or not. If you do not want to help, then stay on the sidelines, but do not attack like some of the posts i have read here. As for stability, I have always loved kde, only since 18.04 have I been able to run it full time again with nvidia... and only with the latest proprietary drivers. If someone would have taken 5 mins, they would have known anything from Maxwell on does not like the OSS nvidia drivers.

Black screen is the exact issue... and hard locks. I am not saying this is the problem, but it sounds exactly what i experienced. It was so bad at one point that i had to install the proprietary drivers on the command line before allowing kde to even start. I am guessing that the kernel was updated and depending on which nvidia driver that was installed, dkms may have got uninstalled and therefore no xwindows on reboot.

But no, everyone on this thread decided to pile on and blame the OP. I am not going to call out anyone specific, but certain posters in this thread got completely out of line. What took me less than 5 mins diagnosing their particular issue with the blank screen, others spend many minutes just stating why the OP should not have said anything. They had valid points. Honestly, if that post upset you, then maybe you should find something else to do than to troll forums looking for posters to jump on to. Now Kubuntu isnt alone in this... Gnome is particularly bad at this. I have had several discussions on discuss calling out other bad actors. It is these kinds of people that scare newbies away... and frankly, we need newbies.

Everyone here was a newbie at one time. You didnt wake up and was a freaking expert in Linux/Ubuntu/KDE? You are not Mork from Ork (if you know that reference, then you have an idea how old I am... and how long i have been doing this). The OP was a little upset and rightfully so... can you imagine what a new user would think?

I am done ranting now... everyone be civil and stop wearing your hearts on your sleeve. sheeze...
                            Thanks for this post.

There was one member knowing me already after my 2nd post!!! Close friends took years for that, LOL.. being offensive to me and assuming that I am the troll. He even knew that I like w10 although I have never installed it myself...prejudices...

I am a Kubuntu and kubuntu forums newbie.. but no UNIX / Linux / IT newbie.

I am also forums admin since more than 10 years (about one million members)...it's a IT related forum...I know any kind of members.
                            I like to tinker a lot and I gave a lot to communities and I returned back a lot...

My spare time is limited and I could not play with Kubuntu yet.

People need to differentiate criticism on something they use from personal attack.
                            I do only want that Kubuntu gets better, nothing else.

And therefore I have posted my opinion...and I cannot comprehend why I got dissed for that, LOL.
                            Last edited by Vaira; Sep 27, 2018, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaira View Post
                              The first negative thing that I noticed at Kubuntu was tearing when moving windows and tearing when playing a movie...

The fix is simple but still to be applied manually. Locate /etc/profile.d/kwin.sh. If not present create kwin.sh there.
                              Edit / create with kate.
                              Code:
                              [COLOR=#0000B3][FONT=Consolas]export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"[/FONT][/COLOR]

It's been filed a bug report, but no fix yet... LOL.
                              LOL? What's the link to the bug report? Surely someone with your vast experience knows that providing links save the time of others.
                              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally Posted by Vaira ...

Edit / create with kate.
                                Code:
                                export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"

It's been filed a bug report, but no fix yet... LOL.
                                their is also the "export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1" that can be placed in that file/script but you should not use both together , I think

VINNY
                                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                                16GB RAM
                                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                                X