This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honest review of Kubuntu BIonic, IMO

He addresses the issue of why one might use Kubuntu over Neon (at 7:45) and gives pros and cons for Kubuntu. Basically, it amounts to a version release and its upgrade problem vs the rolling release. And, his feeling that Neon is more polished than Kubuntu.

Since I use Btrfs that difference is marginal to me because of the power of snapshots. To move my apps over to Bionic I merely opened a snapshot that I took a day ago of my Neon home account and used mc to move everything, including config files, to my home account on Bionic. Minecraft, SageMath, and a variety of other apps just came right over without loosing a byte of historical data. Other apps that I installed were AppImage and not distro specific, so no problems there. Btrfs is the same on both distros. The only two problems I encountered were the openjdk-11 failure to run jar files, and the failure of "Ubuntu-drivers" install of nvidia-390 to create a working nvidia powered display. Either one might have been a show stopper for someone new to Linux, but most folks would have taken the error msgs displayed and used DuckDuckGo to find a solution, if one didn't occur to the from experience or intuition.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Well put together and well presented. No wasting of the viewers time.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
    X