X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Make The Best Linux Distro Ever Made

Hi,

I love KDE - yes it's very heavy, but it's pretty and super customizeable.
    I was happy using Linux Mint KDE, but next Linux Mint will not have a KDE version.
    (for whatever reason - who knows)

After dumping Linux Mint I tried Manjaro KDE 64Bit for a few months.
    I like it alot, but am averaging an OS failure about once a month.
    I've been using Linux for over 10 years, but my knowledge of Linux is rather poor.

I'm taking a long hard look at Kubuntu 18.04 64Bit LTS as my next Linux distro.
    I tried Beta1 on my best desktop, but the installer crashed at some point.
    I clicked "Try Again" and it worked, but after booting to desktop the update manager crashed when updating.
    Not a great 1st impression...

I will probably switch to Kubuntu 18.04 64Bit LTS on all my "mission critical" machines on April 26th,
    BUT I need you developers to produce the best Linux Distro ever made!

What am I looking for in a Linux Distro?
    (1) Stability
    (2) Ease of use
    (3) Customization

That's it, let's get this done!
    Thanks!

P.S. - Can you add a opt out in the installer for phoning home system configuration data?

Jesse

Originally posted by JeZ-l-Lee View Post

It's actually not that heavy. The ram usage dropped considerably in 5.12 and you can decrease the speed of animations to make it feel super snappy. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by JeZ-l-Lee View Post
      Hi,

I was happy using Linux Mint KDE, but next Linux Mint will not have a KDE version.
      (for whatever reason - who knows)

After dumping Linux Mint I tried Manjaro KDE 64Bit for a few months.
      I like it alot, but am averaging an OS failure about once a month.
      I've been using Linux for over 10 years, but my knowledge of Linux is rather poor.

I'm taking a long hard look at Kubuntu 18.04 64Bit LTS as my next Linux distro.
      I tried Beta1 on my best desktop, but the installer crashed at some point.
      I clicked "Try Again" and it worked, but after booting to desktop the update manager crashed when updating.
      Not a great 1st impression...

I will probably switch to Kubuntu 18.04 64Bit LTS on all my "mission critical" machines on April 26th,
      BUT I need you developers to produce the best Linux Distro ever made!

What am I looking for in a Linux Distro?
      (1) Stability
      (2) Ease of use
      (3) Customization

That's it, let's get this done!
      Thanks!

P.S. - Can you add a opt out in the installer for phoning home system configuration data?

Jesse
      Did you checksum the iso after you downloaded it?
      Did you checksum the LiveUSB or LiveDVD after you burned it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Did you checksum the iso after you downloaded it?
        Did you checksum the LiveUSB or LiveDVD after you burned it?
        Don't know what that is.
        How do you do it and what does it do?
        Greg
        W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
          Don't know what that is.
          How do you do it and what does it do?
          When you download an ISO from a valid source it will include a long alphanumeric number associated with the ISO. The number will be identified as either a md5sum or sha256sum value. Use the appropriate command to check the ISO in a Konsole. For example, and md5sum:
          md5sum thecompleteISOname.iso
          It will return an alphanumeric number. Compare that number with the number listed on the website where you downloaded the ISO from. IF they are the same then your download was successful. IF they are NOT the same then either the download was faulty or the ISO has been corrupted or infected.

Ditto for the sha256sum. The website will tell you which command you need to use. Some of them supply both numbers. Usually the sha256sum is more secure.

After you make a LiveUSB, for example, out of a validated ISO, you can check your burn with the option supplied by the LiveUSB to do exactly that. IF your LiveUSB checks out OK then the LiveUSB stick is ready to use to install the distro. IF NOT, then reburn using the validated ISO.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I believe they have, indeed, made the best distro ever made. Now it's just in for the fine tuning
            Kubuntu 20.04
            HP Pavilion 17, 8GB DDR3, A10 APU w/ ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Comment

with no offence to the OP
              I have NEVER understood the posting of "heavy useage'... I ACTUALLY RUN...Kubuntu on an ANCIENT PII Toshiba Laptop...and no problems...

it is not the OS

it is the apps run WITHIN the OS...

a) the eye candy
              b) the apps...

This is NOT just Kubuntu... it goes WAAAY BACk...

I have run kubuntu on old PI hardware that i donated ten years ago...

Kubuntu WILL PROVIDE...

given that YOU...do not have some "variation of hardware" that is "customized for this or that..."

a) stability...I have metal running 17.04 as A WORK MACHINE...for the last three years...no problems...no hiccups...not a peep...
              b) Ease of use...that is COMPLETELY personal...I used to love gkRellm...and I have ancient threads about using "Compiz-fusion"...look THAT one up...and I find Kubuntu to be fall of the log easy...and pretty and snazzy... I even did a "spin" of it as a media center...nobody cared...that is ok... but...ease of use...

THE PROBLEM with "Kubuntu"...
              is that...
              for the talking head, click gathering nattering nabobs of negativism...

Kubuntu is AN EASY TARGET...

Kubuntu is drop dead, fall of the log, easy...

UNLESS one is into..."well...THIS...is THE ...way...that I...haaarruuummmppfff...DO IT...

AND YOU BETTER GET USED TO WHAT I SAY...

what are activities...?

they are virtual desktops done right...

c) Customization...

GAWD FORGIVE ME...

other distros SHOULD fall on their knees for the customization of KDE...

AND THAT IS THE PROBLEM...

MOST PEOPLE ARE THE PEOPLE that the elites sneer at in Wal-Mart...

pants hanging down or around a roll of fat ...or squalling kids or pot smokers or WHATEVER...

KDE...GAWD,...

the customization just CAN NOT be put into ANY kind of COHESIVE ...what...blog? Post? Thread...

Ok think of your favourite car that you want customized...or your favourite bullet blender to make smoothies...or...your latest phone...

it will take some TIME...

BUt...omg...

KDE...dances...

woodscubadivessmoke

no offence but I just do not understand that...

woodamoderatorcandeletethispostsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

delete this lighting strike and it double posted
                woodsmoke
                Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 05, 2018, 01:20 AM.
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                X