This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discovery Bar Charts

While I know that Discovery is not everyone's favorite program, I feel it has a use and is part of the general getting-away from the terminal, which is the geekiest part of Linux. The main graphical program managers, Muon and Synaptic, are not for beginners or casual users. So Discovery should be a good alternative, in theory. I use it mainly for updating, and it's doing a better job than before through the addition of a general tasks bar graph, which shows the progress of the updating. But I still can't figure out what Discovery's programmers mean to communicate by the use of the individual program progress bar charts. At 49% of progress the updates are all downloaded, but the bar graphs show a chaotic view of progress, with some programs almost completely downloaded while others haven't even started. The second phase, which finishes at roughly 79%, shows all the other bar graphs catching up until they're all lined up neatly at 75% progress. What happens next is weird. Instead of advancing ever closer to 100%, the bar graphs instead start receding to about 50% progress, only to disappear in a flash when the general update is finished. What is the logic here?

Most other Linux distros I've looked at have functional bar graphs showing each stage of the update process. If Discovery's programmers can't do the same, then they should eliminate the individual graphs entirely and let the main one show the progress. But it seems to me that they should know how to do this right.

For a long time Discovery was an unrecommended mess. A couple weeks ago I tried it out, again, after a pause of a year or so, and found it had actually advanced to the stage of being decent, if you have a fast machine, which I do. I never paid attention to graphs. I's browse, click install and immediately browse to another area and click install, etc.... I never let me quit until all the installs were done, which is good. I may use it again.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X