This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flashplugin-installer

When I run this simulation to remove flashplugin-installer on Kubuntu 18.04, it suggests additional packages that could be removed using autoremove:
    Code:
    $ apt-get purge -s flashplugin-installer
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    libpango1.0-0 libpangox-1.0-0 patch python3-debconf update-notifier-common
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    flashplugin-installer*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Purg flashplugin-installer [28.0.0.126ubuntu1]
    $
    The removal from 17.10 was clean. Nothing else was suggested for autoremoval.

(I use Firefox direct from Mozilla and not from the repos. So far, I haven't had the need to view Flash content. If I do, I'll use Google Chrome.)
    Kubuntu 20.04

Autoremove is ‘safe’. IF you are at all concerned, simply note the packages to be removed. IF after running the command and later you find ‘issues’ (not likely), you can reinstall those specific packages.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, the autoremove thing is just normal apt 'house keeping'.

It's more than likely unrelated to the removal/purge of the flashplugin-installer package. You see the autoremove message very often when using apt in the terminal. Either just ignore it or do the suggested 'sudo apt autoremove' ... it's pretty bullet-proof, I've never had an issue doing it and as Snowhog said you can always re-install any package that may be needed after all.

The only thing to watch out for would be apt suggesting to remove dozens or even hundreds of packages ... that would indicate the package management is broken somewhere. In that case don't do the autoremove (answer NO to the prompt) and fix the problem first.
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Working...
      X