X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GRUB] New install smaller drive

So.
    I need my bigger drive, and the PC(NAS) isn't doing anything, so I don't need a 500G SSD.
    I've done a new install and set things up, booting from external USB, as needed.
    Now I have swapped the drive, and for some weird reason, it keeps booting with the "recover" options. Very annoying.
    Now. I have attempted to redo the install, BUT

I can't find the EFI option under FAT32.

The PC(NAS) does support UEFI, so is this the issue for the recover screen every boot?
    Can I (and I did read somewhere else in this forum that you can 'fix' the efi (grub-efi) boot partition?

For future reference, UFEI enable motherboards, should the efi option be "automatic" created and installed, or do I have to manually do this ?
    Thanks

Managed to fix it.
    Went into repair, then selected "GRUB Repair" or something similar.
    I'll mark this as solved, after a couple of days. I;ll wait and see the response to my questions. I tried to read through
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-fixing-things
    but thats like a weeks worth of reading.

Comment

It is a big read, but Qqmike's collection of UEFI was extremely helpful with my foray into UEFI. I don't use anything else.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I just finished cloning the original ssd to the smaller one.
        I can boot with just the boot ssd, not a problem.
        As soon as I connect the zfs vdevs (two of them), it no longer boots to login screen.
        So The screen I am stuck on is the slow blinking kubuntu screen.
        What does this mean is wrong?
        & how do I fix it?
        (No longer Urgent) but I would like to know what happened
        I just reinstalled wiping old for newer 18.04.5
        Last edited by CharlieDaves; Sep 29, 2020, 10:51 PM. Reason: changes

Comment

If it actually boots completely, but the screen is blank with a blinking cursor, it's usually a video driver issue. Usually, open a terminal and run startx to get the GUI session running, or edit boot parameters. From there you should also be able to run your driver manager and bring in a correct driver.

And sometimes, just a clean install fixes everything!
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
          X