Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick with KDE4 everybody - You can actually adjust all your colors just right

It seems to me that you can adjust your desktop icon text color with kde4 but not kde plasma5. Mountains out of molehills perhaps.

Ok, but only since you say so.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
      Ok, but only since you say so.

On it right away!
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

And if you have to run Windows use XP?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          And if you have to run Windows use XP?
          Naah! That's too recent.

See https://www.ghacks.net/2018/08/24/yo...linux-and-mac/ and the comments to that article.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Not trying to upset anyone, but I kind of liked DOS, especially when DOS 3.1 hit the scene.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

There are oddballs everywhere
              https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment...pporting_kde4/

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                Naah! That's too recent.

See https://www.ghacks.net/2018/08/24/yo...linux-and-mac/ and the comments to that article.
                I have Win95 to thank for introducing me to Linux.

On Dec 29, 1997 I purchased a new Sony VAIO desktop which came with Win95. Between that date and May 1, 1998 my Sony was crashing about once every 20 minutes or so, which required a reboot. Between Win95 and the hardware was something Sony called a "MediKit". I found out that its purpose was to do a phantom reboot when ever the Win95 OS crashed, which apparently was more often that every 20 minutes, or the "MediKit" wasn't good at doing such reboots. While writing code I got into the habit of hitting Ctl+S every few seconds to avoid losing 5-20 minutes worth of code. When Win95 failed to boot I was forced to do a reinstall, which I had to do FIVE times between Dec 29 and May 1st. I had been using OS/2 and running Win3.11FWG in its DOS box before I got the Sony. I decided to go back to OS/2 and went to Barnes & Nobel to buy a copy (which is where you bought OS's back then). I was looking at $300+ for OS/2 and while browsing around I saw a paper back titled "Learn Linux in 24 Hours", by Bill Brush, for $25. In the back of the paperback was a CDROM containing RH5.0. A free OS? I was stunned. With only $25 to lose I took it home and installed it. Suddenly, my Sony VAIO was rock solid stable. Between May 1, 1998 and September of 1998 it did not crash even once. It took me about 30 hours to get comfortable to RH5.0. Linux was a lot simpler back then.

In September of 1998 I saw an ad for SuSE which featured KDE 1.0 Beta. It looked to me like a look-a-like and work-a-like Windows clone, which made learning it a walk in the park. I ran SuSE from September of 1998 to November of 2002, when Novell got in bed with M$. Between 2002 and 2009 I surfed a lot of Linux distros, until I discovered Kubuntu 9.04 Alpha, which the first, I believe, to feature KDE4. Been with Kubuntu every since, except for a short stint with Neon, which is essentially the same thing.

I'll be staying with Kubuntu until either this computer or I die, which ever comes first.
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 29, 2018, 09:26 AM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I've been with Kubuntu since 2009, when I tried it for the first time after running Ubuntu for a year. When 16.04 came out, and then Neon, I added the PPAs for Neon and got a hybrid developer's edition which worked well until I decided to erase it so I could try out btrfs with Kubuntu 18.04. While I have Neon (18.04) on VitualBox, I can't see myself going back to Neon since Kubuntu works so well. And I certainly won't go back to Windows, which I erased when I installed 18.04 Greygeek, you were such a fan of Neon--what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                    ... Greygeek, you were such a fan of Neon--what happened?
                    I'm still a fan of Neon. While I was waiting for Neon 18.04 to come out I decided to try Kubuntu. I installed it on an SSD and then upgraded my RAM from 6GB to 16GB. The result is like running an entirely new computer that's lightening fast. I know it's not the F35 but I've decided to stay with this F22

I can't believe what the SSD and more RAM did for performance. On an HD with 6GB Minecraft 1.12 gave me 250+ FPS but my CPU was always crowding 85C and my GPU was hugging 80-85 as well. Now, my CPU oscillates between 65-75C and my GPU hangs around 60C with a FPS between 250-500. Noticeably cooler!

I'm running on Kubuntu what I was running on Neon, and Kubuntu isn't broke, so I am not going to fix it. Sometime in the future I may try Neon again, but right now I'm hooked again on Kubuntu. Two excellent choices. A person can't go wrong with either one!

Comment

Very interesting. I have an old tower-type pc clone which runs an i3 and 6 gib of memory (can't get any more than that) and I have no idea how to get it up to better specs. I don't have a slot for an ssd anyway, so I stick with what I have, which runs pretty good overall. I don't play minecraft anyway, just Ksudoku.

Comment

Seriously, it there were a full theme package, including icons etc, then added to a Plasma 5 setup, I bet 90% of the people would not notice that it wasn't KDE 4. Everything is configured in the same ways, and in the same places.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny7 View Post
                          I tried plasma 5 once again and sure enough after setting all my blues and grays - it starts putting pinks and purples about. You can also adjust your desktop icon text color with KDE4.
                          Uh. no.

But you certainly managed to stir the pot, and then run and hide - which seems to be you modus operandi, based on your 2 posts.
                          The next brick house on the left
                          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
                          X