This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Preparing for 18.04.1

In preparation for 18.04.1 later this month, which will be installed as a fresh install, I have two new SATA III drives on the way. These will replace the somewhat tired (though still usable) PATA drives now used with SATA/PATA adapters. Currently, (I'll call it) drive one is used to mount /, /home, and /swap with (I'll call it) drive two used to mount /home/multimedia. The two new drives will parallel that configuration.

Upon install, the two new drives, which for purposes of this discussion can be "new one" and "new two", will be partitioned with GPT and the motherboard will use it UEFI firmware. Kubuntu will be the only OS, so I know I don't have to use UEFI, but I will. So "new one" will be GPT and will require an ESP - and I'm assuming that will be set up by gparted using the Kubuntu installer, and I'll need to set up three partitions - /, /home each using a Linux filesystem (i.e., ext4), and /swap, just like normal. And just like normal gparted in the Kubuntu installer will handle this correctly.

What I'm not sure of is whether to add "new two" into the mix with the Kubuntu installer, or do that later. In either case, I'm assuming that "new two" will also be partitioned GPT with its one partition /home/multimedia (also ext4, example). What I'm not sure of is if "new two" also requires an ESP.

I don't want ot get into a firefight about UEFI, or the use of ext4, or the partitioning scheme, so for purposes of this discussion, just assume these as given.

So please, let me know if I'll be setting up the two new drives correctly, using the narrative above, or if I've got it completely wrong. Thanks!
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

What I'm not sure of is whether to add "new two" into the mix with the Kubuntu installer, or do that later.
    This may be a religious issue, or one of chicken superstition, but I would add that second drive later, I would reduce the number of variables you are dealing with upon installing the OS.

What I'm not sure of is if "new two" also requires an ESP.
    No, it does not require an ESP.
    Technical Note: You can have more than one ESP, if you wish, and there are special reasons for playing around like that and doing so. However, your entire PC system can easily (and usually does, for most people) get by using just one ESP.
    List of how-to links on UEFI for almost every conceivable configuration:
    UEFI, GPT, ESP, GRUB2-EFI, (dual)-booting, fixing things
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-fixing-things

Just one thing, to be clear about:

Kubuntu will be the only OS, so I know I don't have to use UEFI, but I will. So "new one" will be GPT and will require an ESP - and I'm assuming that will be set up by gparted using the Kubuntu installer ...
    I don't think the installer's partitioner will set up the ESP, will it? Usually, it is a very good idea to set up that hard drive beforehand, using GParted, and while doing that, you would do everything: the ESP, all your partitions (/, home, swap, whatever), specify your Ext4, and so on. I was under the impression that the partitioner used by the installer might be problematic? It is much easier--and cleaner--to prepare your hard drive(s) as a separate step before running the OS installer. Again, this issue may also be one of chicken superstition.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

On the otherhand, opening up a box twice doubles the risk of doing damage. So, IIWM, I would put BOTH drives in while it was open the first time.

Also, be aware that plugging in one or more drives can cause the /dev/sdX drive assignments to change. I've experienced that myself. So, once you have the box buttoned back up, you've booted the LiveUSB and installed the OS, use the UUID's as a reference for the drives, not their /dev/sdX values.
      From a konsole you can issue
      :~$ blkid
      /dev/sda1: UUID="47a4794f-b168-4c61-9d0c-cc22f4880116" UUID_SUB="94528e9d-7bd3-4712-bd3f-0a24774dc4b9" TYPE="btrfs" PARTUUID="99e4dabd-01"
      /dev/sdb1: LABEL="sdb1" UUID="17f4fe91-5cbc-46f6-9577-10aa173ac5f6" UUID_SUB="4d5f96d5-c6c6-4183-814b-88118160b615" TYPE="btrfs" PARTUUID="5fa5762c-9d66-4fdf-ba8f-5c699763e636"
      /dev/sdc1: UUID="b3131abd-c58d-4f32-9270-41815b72b203" UUID_SUB="498bde29-97bd-4282-b246-c1d20368b1da" TYPE="btrfs" PARTUUID="6fe79cf9-2de8-4fab-8f68-51d6e092b2a2"
      Then you can copy & paste the UUID part into the mount command when ever necessary:

sudo mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/47a4794f-b168-4c61-9d0c-cc22f4880116 /mnt

to mount "sda1" to /mnt.

The sdX assignments can change, but the UUID label never will.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Qqmike and GreyGeek - Thanks for your great input! I have some standalone/bootable gparted ISOs lying around, time to check them out and Etcher one of them onto a thumbdrive to test. My current fstab does refer to drives by UUID, so I'll verify/update to new one before I go too far post-install.
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post

Just one thing, to be clear about:

I don't think the installer's partitioner will set up the ESP, will it? Usually, it is a very good idea to set up that hard drive beforehand, using GParted, and while doing that, you would do everything: the ESP, all your partitions (/, home, swap, whatever), specify your Ext4, and so on. I was under the impression that the partitioner used by the installer might be problematic? It is much easier--and cleaner--to prepare your hard drive(s) as a separate step before running the OS installer. Again, this issue may also be one of chicken superstition.
          The automatic partitioning scheme does, I am not sure if the manual partitioner does it for you or not, or give a warning if you forget it.
          I don't do fresh installs often, but my last 3 recent ones, one last week (oops, that one was not EFI, the Chromebook is using legacy boot atm), one when 18.04 came out (new drive!) and one around February (new laptop!). I always use the built in partitioner, have for quite a long time now. No problems, and I seldom do anything but manual partitioning.

Comment

claydoh: The automatic partitioning scheme does, I am not sure if the manual partitioner does it for you or not, or give a warning if you forget it.
            So, jglen, if you do decide to do the partitioning during installation using the installer's partitioner tool, you can look to see if it automatically sets up the ESP for you. If it doesn't, then you could do it: create a partition, FAT32, say 200 MB-500 MB, and set the boot flag on it -- the tools to do so should be right there in the Manual partitioning menus. (In UEFI, setting the boot flag on the ESP doesn't mean that you are making the ESP a bootable partition (which is what a boot flag means for Legacy booting). It only means that the partition is specially marked as your ESP--your EFI System Partition.)
            Last edited by Qqmike; Jul 06, 2018, 06:35 PM.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I believe one of the format options is "EFI", in the drop down list, the partition tool doesn't have boot flag options or anything like that, as it takes care of that depending on what use the partition is for. The very next step is a confirmation of the partitioning to be done before proceeding.

Also note that the live desktop session includes Plasma's Partition Manager, so if desired, one could use this gparted "clone" to set things up before beginning the install

Comment

if desired, one could use this gparted "clone" to set things up before beginning the install
                That's a nice way of doing it, too. Actually, I'm going to have to do this, too! Just remembered that it is time to let my 14.04 go and catch up with the latest 18.04, and I will also wait for 18.04.1 in a couple three months. But my poor HDD is a mess: three ESPs, and six operating systems (following different ESPs). Just for the record, jglen, I will get rid of everything but my 14.04 and its ESP, then install 18.04.1 (using that same ESP as 14.04 is using).

Comment

More good inputs!

The thing is this: new drives, first time using GPT, first time accepting UEFI, clean install.

I'll back up my /home and /home/multimedia first, remove the existing drives and insert the new ones, start the machine and check that UEFI is active/fast boot off/etc. With thee Gparted thumb drive I'll set up the new drives with GPT and check for/make an EFI partition and the remainder of my usual partitions. Then I'll restart the machine with an 18.04.1 thumb drive, and proceed with the install.

Should be alright, and have a backup with my old 16.04.4 drives.

Comment

The thing is this: new drives, first time using GPT, first time accepting UEFI, clean install ... Should be alright, ...
                    Yes, it should be fine. If you want a little related mental rehearsal, here's two of my how-to's that are relevant:

Installing Kubuntu -- Using the "Manual" Installation Type, with your own partitioning
                    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...688#post377688

Note that this may be a bit dated as it was written back around 14.04, importantly before this new 18.04-Plasma deal.

A new PC build and Kubuntu-only UEFI installation
                    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post368216

Philosophical ... It always helps when entering new territory like this to (1) mentally rehearse, and (2) remember a nice, key thing about Kubuntu/Linux: As long as you have your live Kubuntu USB/DVD installer, you are OK! You can do anything with it. In fact, you can forget about your hard drives altogether and just run your Live Kubuntu USB/DVD and use your OS like that (saving permanent data to another plugged-in flash drive). With that Live Kubuntu USB/DVD, you are free and independent. Now granted, if you have problems to solve on the ground--like setting up a new HDD or actually installing or anything--of course you will have to deal with those, but, in a sense, you have all the time you need, as long as you can use your OS as a live Kubuntu.

In fact, here's almost everything most people will ever need to know about rescue operations here at Kubuntu, another of my how-to's:

Using Your Live Kubuntu DVD/USB to Fix Things
                    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379485

There are many clever things you can do with your Live Kubuntu USB/DVD.

Comment

Good ideas - all. I've been going over the "how-tos" in my mind on this. It shouldn't be as much of problem as it seems. So, since most clean installs I've done went well, this one just has a couple of other factors to consider in this one. It'll go well.

Comment

O.K., got my SATA drives today - way fast and early! For now they're going into the drawer. If I get some time this weekend, I might do some playing ...

Comment

Working...
                        X