This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GRUB] Grub-Installation ISSUE

The installation-routine of 18.04 LTS 64 bit seems quite buggy! - at least with a new 500 GB Samsung SSD-drive
    The drive was well recognied by the bios and also by linux and it was possible to manage it by gparted.
    I have a "old" raid-system in the PC which is also configured by LVM2

I tried to install in several kinds.
    1.) manually - there was the problem, that in the lvm-configuration it is actually NOT POSSIBLE to give an specific lv-name to each lv - any changement seems also not possible - so the LVs are numerated notoriously from 1 to n - what is often not helpfully
    - when I also put the configuration on and start the installation - then the programm rubs without any question the Swap-partition of the OLD RAID-lvm !!! This is not very usefull since the Raid will be much slower than the SSD - and just I want to speed up the system!
    After installation there is the message that the grub-installation failed since it could not write to /dev/sda however the SSD has /dev/sdb

THIS issue cames also in the automatical installation!
    Other issue:
    configuring first all LV with mountpoint and changing later it to set the format-option makes crashing the programm

- when there is any LVM-partition it seems not possible to remove/delete it!
    - in the same way it is not possible to delete any partition in relation to an LV! or VG
    - - to make such changes seems not possible...!
    DOES the programmer of this nice prog have any real experience with LVM!

2.) automatical installation with LVM
    in my whole desesperation I tried now the automatical (guided) LVM - installation - but here the grub-installation fails in the SAME WAY!

However I tried some howto - how to install or repair grub-install - but even this dont works as promised and fails with mount-issues -

Also grub-setup ist not available!

How shall I change to the new Kubuntu, when it is even not possible to realize a simple installation!

How can I now install the actual kubuntu 18.04 LTS!

Some tests with the LVM-Options enabled with the installation programm... seems strongly recommended!

Po
    Last edited by Pollewetzer; May 03, 2018, 06:56 PM. Reason: adding some issues

BIG BUG in the Kubuntu Installation-Program

Did I post these BUGs on the right forum or not!?? - This are real bugs in the KUBUNTU-Implementation of the installation program! - Since I want to have an actual operating system with full bug actualisations i tried the same procedure with the same version of UBUNTU 18.04 - and miracle - THERE the installation succeeded!!! - Neverteless ALL the LVM inconvenients and bugs are very similar -but at least the writing of the boot-record and the GRUB-Installation WORKED!!!
    Its really a pitty that the KUBUNTU-Team cant provide a LVM running installation! - with two LVM-used disks...!?? - And I would like it so much to get Kubuntu, because I hate the gnome environment and behaviour!! -

Could anybody forward these posts to any developer who could resolve the problems!?? - will the resolving be part of any Release-note remark

thanks a lot anybody

P

Comment

Strange as it may seem, KFN is not a bug forum. For KDE bugs you need to post your problem and relevant data here:
      https://bugs.kde.org/
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Strange as it may seem, KFN is not a bug forum. For KDE bugs you need to post your problem and relevant data here:
        https://bugs.kde.org/
        This is a (K)Ubuntu bug not a KDE bug.

Reporting Ubuntu bugs: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
        Last edited by Rog131; May 06, 2018, 01:13 PM.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
        X