X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to prevent Skype autostart?

Dear All,

I put "/usr/bin/skype" in the softwares which shouldn't start as an administrator here advised, but it doesn't work. Indeed there are no skype file in bin.

Can someone help me to avoid an automatical Skype start please?
    I have Skype-Version 8.69.0.77

I put "/usr/bin/skype" in the softwares which shouldn't start as an administrator
    Exactly how did you do this? (post a screen shot if necessary) And why did you do this as an administrator? Actually, this is unclear. Did you do this task as an Administrator (sudo) or are you trying to keep Skype from running as an administrator?
    Tell us exactly and specifically what you did.

Check the autostart section is System Settings
    Also check if your Desktop Session is set to 'Restore previous session", and select 'start with an empty session' temporarily to see if this stops Skype from running at login.

Comment

The old way, before systemd, was to use
      Code:
      rm ~/.config/autostart/skypeforlinux.desktop
      With systemd you use
      Code:
      sudo systemctl disable skyped.service

systemctl daemon-reload
      A short systemd tutorial is here.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you very much claydoh for your answer and I beg your pardon for not having been very clear.
        I put "/usr/bin/skype" in the softwares which shouldn't start, as you can see in an enclosed screenshot and as the administrator Snowhog suggested here:
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...kype+autostart

But as I stated before, there is no skype file in bin.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          The old way, before systemd, was to use
          Code:
          rm ~/.config/autostart/skypeforlinux.desktop
          With systemd you use
          Code:
          sudo systemctl disable skyped.service

systemctl daemon-reload
          A short systemd tutorial is here.
          Not sure if Skype creates and starts a systemd service, I don't see any indication of it by browsing the contents of the deb file, but that doesn't mean the binary executable doesn't do this.

Comment

Originally posted by nicrnicr View Post
            as you can see in an enclosed screenshot and as the administrator Snowhog suggested here:
            https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...kype+autostart
            How are you doing this as Administrator Nowhere does the original post ever mention admin privileges.This does not require admin privileges at all, and running system settings with sudo is potentially very dangerous.

In any case Skype itself should provide settings within the application itself to control autostart. And the executable us actually different now:

/usr/bin/skypeforlinux

Is there an entry for skype in the autostart section of System Settings?

A recent page with images showing the settings section of Skype About halfway down the page):

https://www.epiphanydigest.com/2020/...ting-on-linux/
            Last edited by claydoh; Apr 10, 2021, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Thank you very much Greygeek for your help! I didn't need to apply your suggestions.

I am very sorry cladoh. In the link that I posted to you, there was Snowhog who is/was labeled in blue as Administrator. I wrote that an administrator advised something and I still see & think it.

"In any case Skype itself should provide settings within the application itself to control autostart. And the executable us actually different now:"
              Yes. I could stop Skype autostart in the Skype software itself. Thank you very much claydoh :-)

Comment

I wrote that an administrator advised something
                Seems my reading comprehension has dropped a few levels, apologies for making that error!

Comment

If you don't turn it off in skype it will remake the autostart link every time you start the application.
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                  X