This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Uncommanded KDE Popup

If I leave my PC running in desktop, quite often when I come back to it, I find that a page has opened spontaneously.

It is not always the same link or page. This morning it was a link to K3B - a KDE CD burning program.

Should I be worried that a bot has infected my PC? Otherwise, I wonder why these programs, K3B is just today's, pop up!

Thanks for an explanation/advice.

John

I also saw anomalous behavior yesterday, not exactly the same as yours. Ktorrent was running upon bootup, nothing was being sent/received, but the main screen was open. I found that it has been installed in the "status and notifications" list (not by my choice). I selected "quit" and it was gone again. Could have been a case of fumble fingers, but I don't know of a keyboard command which would do this.
    I'm running a newish kernel and up-to-date Kunbuntu 20.04.

Sorry, I don't know of a "fix" for this, just reporting similar behavior to that of @JoHubb
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by JoHubb View Post
      If I leave my PC running in desktop, quite often when I come back to it, I find that a page has opened spontaneously.

It is not always the same link or page. This morning it was a link to K3B - a KDE CD burning program.

Should I be worried that a bot has infected my PC? Otherwise, I wonder why these programs, K3B is just today's, pop up!

Thanks for an explanation/advice.

John
      A page in a web browser, a listing in Plasma Discover, or something else?
      If you can take a screenshot next time you see this.
      I doubt you have an 'infection', particularly as you are seeing KDE stuff, at least for one instance.
      Doesn't seem like something from KDE, though.

Comment

Interesting to hear another user has experienced something similar.

Just now, it happened again.

This time the OS had been open on a webpage to do with aviation. The screensaver had kicked in and when I activated the PC again, there was a full screen photo seemingly plucked at random from my Pictures folder. Fortunately, it was a photo of a lady pilot and not a naughty lady...

I don't think it could have been fumbly fingers but I know what TWPonKubuntu means - it almost feels as if it could be.

Comment

screenshot??

Screensaver?? Which screensaver package, and which specific screensaver are you using.?

Is this just an image (no borders or window buttons)?
          A browser window?
          An application window?

A screenshot may be very useful , perhaps using ksysguard an looking for an application running that could be displaying images, etc.

Comment

I misled you on the screensaver. I do not use one. The screen goes off on my power saving setting.

It has happened again - a different photograph in Gwenview. Whatever is causing this is working its way through my 'images' (baloosearch-/ -- Dolphin <2>) folder. There are over 3000 files in this folder. It seems to me to serve no useful purpose as I save my pictures in /Pictures or some other directory.

The picture files appear on my screen in date order but not one after the other - in other words there could be some sort of timing going on, so that unless the screen is activated at a particular time, that image is passed by, and the next one, and so on, until, the screen is activated and the next scheduled photo appears.

I have seen both .jpg and png files so far, but sometimes, as I said in the OP, there is a webpage. Perhaps it is an .html file which I have mistaken for a webpage. I will look out for this.

I am not familiar with 'ksysguard' - could I have a quick tutorial or a link, please?

John
            Attached Files

Comment

I am not familiar with 'ksysguard' - could I have a quick tutorial or a link, please?
              Alt-F2, type "ksy", click on it. It' pretty much self-explanatory.

Comment

soffice.bin - splash screen seems to be implicated. The same thing happened this morning - a new file from further down the list in /images.

Could this have anything to do with LibreOffice? I have 6.0.7 but there is no option to update under Tools or anywhere. I think this version came with the Kubuntu 'live' install. Anyway, it is out of date.

My Kubuntu is 18.04.4 LTS.

Thanks for any advice.
                Last edited by JoHubb; Jun 21, 2020, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Big apt update yesterday which included LibreOffice 6.4. It will be interesting to see if this makes a difference.

Comment

Another different picture file on waking from 'Suspend' this morning.

Seems I am talking to myself here!

Comment

Some things are not clear still:
                      What program is the image opening with? Can we assume that you can close the program window showing the image?
                      Are these are your own images, from a specific location on your computer that you have put there yourself? ie not something like things from a browser cache

A good full-screen screenshot would be helpful. As would one of Ksysguard with the image still open, and other programs closed.
                      While it might be handy to take a screenshot that includes everything all at once, I think that it would be hard to read the info from Ksysguard

We really don't know what is goin on, this is something I know I have never heard of or seen, so we don't know where to start looking.

Comment

Seems I am talking to myself here!
                        The desktop wallpaper I use, right-click desktop, configure desktop, wallpaper, wallpaper type Vallpaper 2.0.2, can be configured to load a random "different picture file" at intervals. There's 20 or so wallpaper plug-ins that can do this sort of thing. I haven't mentioned this before because you mentioned gwenview.

Do you have sessions enabled? System settings, start-up and shutdown, desktop session, restore previous session. I always change this to "start with an empty session", because long ago it was flaky. Maybe some session code is restarting something sporadically.
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks, claydoh. Gwenview. All are .png or .jpg files in the /Images folder (see#6). A screenshot will just show a .jpg opened in Gwenview, there is no other information.
                          No problem closing Gwenview.
                          Ksysguard showed something about soffice when I resumed one morning. The display kept changing and I could not find a log file. A screenshot wouldn't mean a thing. Unless I am not using the program correctly.

jlittle, 'restore previous session' was enabled. I changed it as advised. Thanks! Maybe that is the answer. I'll post again with update.
                          Last edited by JoHubb; Jun 25, 2020, 01:42 PM.

Comment

'soffice' is Libreoffice.
                            Not sure this would cause Gwenview to open random images after resume, if the office suite were open at the time the system went to suspend mode. I imagine it would open them in its own image editor. And of course the randomness is bizarre

I cannot for the life f me find out how to log, or view logs of, what might go on when resuming.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                              Do you have sessions enabled? System settings, start-up and shutdown, desktop session, restore previous session. I always change this to "start with an empty session", because long ago it was flaky. Maybe some session code is restarting something sporadically.
                              I think this was the problem. Since starting with an empty session the problem has not recurred.

Thanks to all!

Comment

Working...
                              X