This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation hangs

I am attempting to install 18.04 on an old Dell D520 with a newer WDC SSD. The install starts, gets to the point where it declares it is copying files and then dies. I have tried to install from a USB and a DVD with the same results. I have run diagnosticsm on the CPU, memory and SDD and everything checks out. I have installed Windows 10 and OPENSUSE 15.1 on this machine without any problems. I tried Lubuntu and Ubuntu and the file copy got to 20% before hanging. I went back to Opensuse and it installs ok. What's up with the Ubuntu's?

I don't know. One of the reasons I am not running Suse now was the exact opposite, as way, way back in the day I could not get a successful install, while other distros had zero issue.

How much ram do you have? The Ubuntu live installer needs at the minimum 2Gb.
    Also, if you have not tried already, make sure to un-check the option to download and install updates in the background, and even try installing without an network connection.
    I know some here have had similar Dells, and had no issues, but this probably was a fair time back now.

Over the years, the freezing in *buntu has been somewhat common, though I cannot see any specific cause, other than the lack of ram, and networking issues. The freezing may have nothing to do with the copying of files, as there are other things that may be happening in the background as well.

The lack of people testing on older 32-bit hardware may be a problem as these kind of bugs are not being discovered very well.

Comment

Working...
    X