X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Eating my cpu cores.

Just upgraded my laptop to 18.04 LTS

As long as the network is available this devours all my CPU at 100%. If I turn off the wifi and reboot my CPU is ok, but no access to the network.

I disabled Plasma Networkmanagement in services but it keeps restarting at boot up. Why on Earth would they give us an option to disable something and then allow it to start up anyway? Feels like shades of Microsoft here. I have searched and searched, all I find are issues and no solutions. I am at the end of my rope gentlemen. I swear if I cannot get this working, I will just have to replace my DE.

Did you backup your 'important stuff' before upgrading? Do you care about what is on the PC? If 'Yes' to the first and 'No' to the second, how about just doing a clean install; not an upgrade.

Added:

Open a konsole and run top to see what processes is/are consuming your CPU.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 25, 2019, 12:07 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Probably Systemd is starting it up. the actual networking subsystem is called networkmanager, so you probably have to disable that instead. These are unrelated to the DE. You may have disabled a service from loading at startup, it does not disable it from being able to be run afterwards, as requested, by the wifi connection So things are started. Have you set your wifi connection to not connect automatically?

What specific process is spiking your cpu (look in ksysguard)?

What did you upgrade to Kubuntu 18.04 from?

What wifi card do you have?

Other hardware specs?

Even with the high CPU, were you able to attempt to check for any possible updates?

My guess it is an anomaly from the upgrade, but we need some info so we can better help.

fwiw, and I do not mean to be rude, and I do understand the frustrations, but invoking MIcrosoft, and changing DEs is not helpful.
      Many to most do not care if you use a different desktop, as choice is supreme, and you are free to do so without any grief or bad feelings at all.

Comment

Since it's an upgrade, my suggestion for the first step of triage would be to rule out the possibility of incompatible user configuration between different versions of kubuntu.

Either boot a live media (like kubuntu 18.04 LTS on an usb-stick) or create a new user and log in as that user to see if you experience the same issue, with a "stock" configuration of plasma, theme and widgets etc.

Comment

Let's back the train up. I upgraded and had no issue in 16.04. Then did a format clean install from ISO... twice. So those questions are answered.

@Snowhog,
          top reports back it is 100% PlasmaShell but I already know this and found by disabling the internet connection causes it not to but sometime after reconnect it starts up again. This leads me to the service called "Plasma Networkmanagement module" in services I have it unchecked, it starts up regardless, unless I boot with no internet connection.

@Claydoh,
          ksysguard same answer as above. Upgrade from 16.04 but now fresh install twice over fully updated. I doubt this is my wifi but I thought of that one too. If I connect via the LAN cable same issue. The issue starts when that service restarts. I am so regretting this move into 18.04.

@kubicle,
          I am trying the new user, as suggested, and going to leave it sit awhile to see if the CPU spikes.

Hardware is a Dell Laptop purchase about 1 year ago.
          Intel Duo Core E8400, NVIDIA GeForce 2GB, 1TB HDD, 128 GB SSD, 4 GB RAM, wireless (is built on the mother board I assume) doesn't tell me any brand just Intel chipset 802.11ac, 802.11n, 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g

The only time the CPU usage drops to 2% is when I use LXDE so this rules out hardware, swapping from Plasma to LXDE is just the Desktop Environment. Software issue, within the Desktop Environment, am I right or wrong? If I continue to have the issue at work tomorrow, I will use the LXDE as a work around until the weekend. If I cannot find a solution and all else fails, I will just go back to 16.04 as I still have the live CD.

I will work on this more later tonight. At the moment I am going to watch some TV with the family and relax my head for a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
            @kubicle,
            I am trying the new user, as suggested, and going to leave it sit awhile to see if the CPU spikes.
            Since you have already performed a clean install, this test is only necessary if you kept your old /home (or restored your old settings from a backup) for the clean install.
            Last edited by kubicle; Sep 25, 2019, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
              Since you have already performed a clean install, this test is only necessary if you kept your old /home (or restored your old settings from a backup) for the clean install.
              What you said, works to some degree. New user without admin privileges ran a video for hours and the CPU spike never occurred. New admin didn't get too far beyond entering my password before the system froze up. There is something within, using Plasma 5 in combination with my active internet connection, if I manually disconnect the internet before reboot then I can login as admin. Once the internet connects, I have a limited window to work on the system before it jumps to 100% CPU and memory locks up. I have to go to work, I will be able to use this as the test user. I jump online later to see if anyone has a possible solution. I will have more time to invest in this on Saturday. Thanks to everyone for helping.

Comment

Those specs you quoted are pretty generic.

Please enter
                Code:
                inxi -Fxx
                in a konsole and copy/paste the results into a CODE box (the # button in the reply). This takes a bit of a deeper dive into your system.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

OMG! Problem solved.

My son was helping me out, surfing forums and trying different things. The network plasmoid (Plasma Networkmanagement in services) that sits in the system tray was the trigger. I thought this was just crazy, but we turned it off on the system tray and when we rebooted CPUs at 2% and 3%. Going to mark this one solved. Anyone getting gray here besides me? To anyone reading this in the future, the little icon that sits in the system tray, telling you the internet is connected was the culprit.

Comment

OMG! Problem solved.

My son was helping me out, surfing forums and trying different things. The network plasmoid (Plasma Networkmanagement in services) that sits in the system tray was the trigger. I thought this was just crazy, but we turned it off on the system tray and when we rebooted CPUs at 2% and 3%. Going to mark this one solved. Anyone getting gray here besides me? To anyone reading this in the future, the little icon that sits in the system tray, telling you the internet is connected was the culprit.

That is odd. Never saw that one myself, though back in Plasma 5.8, which is what 16.04 had, animated systray widgets could cause this.

Comment

OMG! Problem solved.

are you sure you did not save any of the settings from your old(16.04) install,s /home/you , as in the "." files (hidden files) , if you did , that "could" cause this .

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Great you were able to find the culprit.

It's still a bit odd, though. I'm not that surprised a misbehaving plasma widget could be causing heavy cpu load (one of the reasons I suggested trying with a "stock" plasma setup), but it is a tad curious the problem didn't manifest on a new regular user you tested (If the problem was the widget itself, it should cause a problem with any user)...and if the problem is something like an old plasma theme incompatible with the latest version of the networkmanagement widget (which would explain why the new user would be problem free), then it shouldn't also affect the new admin user you tested.

So it's still a bit of a mystery, but it's good news anyway that you can once again use the computer, even though the issue is not truly solved.

Comment

Working...
                        X