This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See Post #15 above.

And here's my /etc/fstab entry for the ESP (as I edited it to be following the thread I linked to in Post #5):

Code:
    # /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    # This statement only gives read/write access to root:
    # UUID=C896-1CFF  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
    # NOTE: Next line gives full permissions to everyone on /boot/efi:
    # UUID=C896-1CFF  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0000      0       1
    # Note, kubicle: If you are going to edit the efi fstab umask, it would be safer to use umask=0022,
    # which doesn't give straight write access...
    # you could still open the files with normal (not root) kate since it has read access,
    # and it should still ask for password when you try to save, like this:
    UUID=C896-1CFF  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0022      0       1
    (TwoFistedJustice: in the above fstab clip, the symbol # preceding a line indicates the line is only a comment line and has no programming effect. You probably know this but thought I'd say it in case. Thus, the line I finally used is the last line:
    UUID=C896-1CFF /boot/efi vfat umask=0022 0 1
    )

But ... I would heed kubicle's comment that it might be safer to simply use sudo -i (to open krusader as root). This is also explained in your thread here and in the thread I linked to in Post #5.
    Last edited by Qqmike; Sep 24, 2019, 07:11 AM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Wouldn't root-mode-krusader be simpler anyway? ;·)

Comment

Yeah. Or as another member has pointed out in another thread:

Rod J, on an easy way to run Krusader as root:
        I might add that the easiest way to run Krusader in root mode is to start a normal Krusader then click on Tools, "Start Root Mode Krusader", you then get a solemn warning about the dangers of doing so and a choice to exit if you wish.
        I like to keep the ESP "open" to me as I tend to mess around a lot with the UEFI thing. And in the worst case that I damage my system, well, so what, it won't be the first time. rEFInd to the rescue, or even re-flash the BIOS in extreme-case damage (thumb-drive BIOS: which I keep on a flash drive ... the magic of ASUS).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          Simpler? Maybe with some workflows.
          But there are a few arguments that oppose it, as well:
          1. Some people might prefer not to install/learn another file manager (although I myself prefer krusader to dolphin).
          2. With a more permissive umask you don't need to start a file manager as root to browse (which would be an unnecessary step with read access)...you could use either dolphin or krusader (in user mode) to browse, and then kate to edit.
          3. There are real security risks running *any* GUI application (that includes krusader) as root under Xorg, which is the reason dolphin got that removed. With a readable umask, no part of the editing process includes running a gui app as root, which is more secure in this regard. (readable umask is enough, you don't need it writable...as kate's polkit integration can handle privilege escalation for file writes [without actually running it as root]).

Not saying that the root-krusader approach is strictly the wrong way to go, just that there are reasons why someone could prefer not to follow that path.

Also, normally one does not need to edit the boot files very often (or you might be doing something wrong...or are just zealously curious), so the time saved by doing it the simplest possible way should be rather negligible (so I am quite satisfied going through the cli way with a root shell if and when I need to without any changes in the configuration.)
          Last edited by kubicle; Sep 24, 2019, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Code:
            sudo -i
            is very powerful and a good way to get things done - or for others to get things done if they happen to peruse your system at the time . In any case just for advice and good practice, type in
            Code:
            exit
            as soon as you're done
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

I have successfully edited refind.conf using Krusader.

And I've learned some helpful new ways to break my system!

Thank you all for your patience and help!

Comment

Working...
              X