X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] No Start with 18.04

Hello

Panic! Panic!

I closed the computer yesterday and wanted to start up after about 11 hours. I got as far as this message:

«
    Could not start kdeinit5. is missing or so.
    »

I have luckily still a perfect version of the 14.04 running.

What do I have to do? Deleting the whole OS or is there a possibility to repare?

Quick help is very welcome.
    Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
    I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

I've never had that, but from what I read it mostly happens after a failed update.

If you can get to a terminal, try
    Code:
    sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
    And see if you get any errors towards the end.

If you do, you could try
    Code:
    sudo apt autoremove
    sudo apt install --fix-missing
    Or note the errors and google them or post them here.

Comment

Thanks. In the meantime I have in a third partition for the version Kubuntu 19.04 created. I have then via the DVD made an install but to no awail, same error again. As this did not work, it made another installing with UNetbootin. Same sad story. However, the newer version shows the following message;

«UUID=32ccfa3-1735-4d42-488Be49f3507» is missing.

This is certainly missing when I check BLKID.

At the moment I have a working Plasma 4 and 2 not working Plasma 5.

PS where can I check my email number here?
      I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Hello

I have made a sceeny of my /def/ containing my three OS partitions. Would it be a good idea to delete /dev/sda1 and sda2 and running several partitioning runs?

What I don't understand is the identical fault on both dev's as they are totally different OS. And there should not be a connection to both. But neverthless, the identical fault exists on both.

Would It be OK to delete both partitions (1 and 2) and then make a new partition and install a non-plasma distribution? Once done successfully (read I get an OS running) I could redownload the 18.04 and the 19.14 one after the other. Before that I would delete the downloaded installation files.

If you find this is worth to do, can you suggest a small OS outside the Buntu world?

And again, plase tell me how to change my email address in this forum.

Thanks
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Arran; Sep 08, 2019, 06:28 AM. Reason: Attachment is missing

Comment

To change the email address, I can do it from Settings (top right of screen) Edit profile, Edit Email & Password.
          What I cannot do is PM Snowhog, but maybe you can :·)

About whether "Would It be OK to delete both partitions (1 and 2)"... me, I find it a bit of a funny question. If anyone knows that, it's you.
          Still, you would only need one to install one OS.

About recommending one, I can't. Try searching for "smallest linux distro" and see if there's anything you might like.

Comment

Working...
          X