This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MULTI BOOT] Clock keeps changing to GMT

Sorry for the rather post title but I'm not really sure how to explain the issue I'm having, so please bear with me...

I have 2 machines running dual-boot, one Win7 Pro/Kubuntu18.04 and the other Win10 Pro/Kubuntu 18.04. In Windows I have the clock set to automatically pull the time from the Windows server once a week (which I believe is the default behavior). No problem there. Same thing with Kubuntu, I have the system set to automatically adjust the date/time - again, the default OS behavior. However, when I boot into Windows the clock shows the GMT time instead of my local Central Standard Time, requiring me to do a manual clock update. In other words, it's 7:05pm right now. If I log out of Kubuntu and reboot into Windows, the clock will show 12:05am until it either updates itself or I force update the time.

This happens on both systems mentioned above - the Win7 & the Win10 machines. I also have 2 other dual-boot PCs, both running Win7/Kubuntu 14.04, and I do NOT have this issue on either of those machines so I am inclined to believe this is something to do with the settings on 18.04. However, having looked around, I find there are very minimal settings in Kubuntu for the clock, and nothing stands out that might be causing this.

I do know that Linux and Windows read the system time differently - i.e. Windows has traditionally read the time directly from the motherboard clock while Linux sets the mobo clock to GMT and then adjusts it at the software level to display the correct time for the user's location. But again, I have found nothing in the minimal clock settings on Kubuntu to alter this behavior. I know this is a minor inconvenience but I'm definitely open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by GKNByNW; Aug 12, 2019, 06:13 PM. Reason: Minor clarification

What I have to do is set the time in Linux (which as you notice sets the system time to GMT, and displays local time based on your chosen time zone) and force Windows to follow suit, as Windows sets the system time to the local time.

You can do it in either OS, but for me it seems easier and more reliable to tame WIndows on this matter.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...UTC_in_Windows

To do it on the Linux side, this one has instructions
    https://mashtips.com/fix-linux-windo...different-time

The clock widget only adjusts the user's time and not the system clock, and there is no GUI to set the system time to local time.

The arch wiki mentions Ubuntu making dual boot setups use local time, but I don't see this on my systems, which are dual boot but custom installs.

Comment

I had the same problem with a Mint / Windows 7 dual boot. There are plenty of tutorials on Youtube to help with this.

Comment

Originally posted by deanr View Post
        I had the same problem with a Mint / Windows 7 dual boot. There are plenty of tutorials on Youtube to help with this.
        In truth I wouldn't have known what the heck keywords to Google without making a complicated mess out of it LMAO But I just tried claydoh's fix by adding an entry to the Windows Registry and it seems to have solved the problem. Thanks for the info, fellas.

Comment

Glad it worked. I remember how bloomin' frustrating it was

Comment

Working...
          X