X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to disable notification of available updates

Hi,
    I disabled checking for updates in software sources but it doesn't work. Updates are checked automatically and I still get notifications on panel. How can I turn off checking for updates?

You can 'hide' the updates icon on the system tray's settings, and you can also turn off the notification for Discover in System Settings:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190715_121741.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	644244

Now, for some reason I can't recall how to disable the actual checking for updates , but a quick search should bring up a few threads, as it has been discussed before, in recent months.
    Last edited by claydoh; Jul 15, 2019, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Actually, neither got rid of the panel icon for me, on K18, so I tried again on Neon, and it didn't either.
      What worked was disabling them in the panel.

Bottom right corner (for me), right-click, Configure panel, hover over the Show hidden icons arrow, get the System Tray options.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_0715_183827.png
Views:	1
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	644245

See where the cursor is.

Comment

O.K.

I'm not sure why someone would not want to know that updates are available, but if that works, then ... O.K.

When the available updates icon shows up in the tray, I may not act on it right away. But certainly before the end of my day, I'll go into a konsole and enter the usual "sudo apt update followed by full-upgrade". So, for me it's informative and useful and not at all annoying - and keeps my system more secure than if I ignore it.

To each his own!
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Well, I'm on Neon Unstable, so it would be on pretty much constantly

But even on K18 it came on a bit too often for my tastes.
          I'm not exactly running essential services that would jeopardise global stability if breached...

I just got me an alias upd='sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y', I run it every two or three days when I feel like letting it run and doing something else.

Comment

That's pretty much where I disable them as well, hide them in the System Tray. While I do the updates, I tend to wait a couple of days before I deploy them. Just in case there are any bugs or other issues that may not be quite stable just yet.
            Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

And that's precisely why I don't do Neon
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                I run a combo. Kubuntu LTS on my main content creation production rig, Neon on everything else. No real issues so far, but I also tend to run my important production programs (even KDE based ones) isolated in portable versions. I think that does help quite a bit in that regard. I don't change much in the base install and on Kubuntu I use the "min install" option (I really like have that option).

Comment

I don't really care about notifications. But I turned off automatical checking for updates in 'software source' settings and it still checks it. Is this bug or why is the option ignored?

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                    Yeah, but he's being either silly, brave, a masochist, or just plain curious , running the unstable git version, which is basically new code built daily, or more often maybe.
                    The User Edition has updates when either Ubuntu has some, or when KDE release an official update to Plasma, Frameworks, and Applications. Which is every few weeks, as these sections seem to have a staggered release schedule. So more updates than say 18.04 on the Plasma LTS track, but not really much more than a Disco set up with PPAs.

Comment

Disco is "off-track" for me, as it's not LTS. The non-LTS don't stay around long enough (by definition) to be consistent and useful.

I have no problem with - and in fact appreciate - security updates, but I don't like the idea of working for my distro more than my distro working for me. And so I stay with LTS, avoid the short term releases, and stay away from Neon. Maybe that's boring for many Kubuntu users, but I almost never have any issues/problems/errors, except for the self-inflicted kind. Every two years a clean distro install, some application adjustments, and I'm off and running in a matter of a couple of hours at most.

Now my playground laptop does see a lot of change. Since installing 18.04.1 LTS on my desktop, the laptop has probably "seen" a dozen fresh installs of some distro or other. Obviously, most of those don't stay around very long. Linux Mint 18 and Peppermint 9 were about the longest running trials that were on that platform. It being a 32 bit machine, there are fewer options available anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        Yeah, but he's being either silly, brave, a masochist, or just plain curious
                        Actually, none of the above
                        I moved to Neon unstable because it had Plasma 5.16, which fixed my clock :·)
                        After which - so far - I couldn't be happier. Not only it was easy to relegate updates to a "do not disturb" zone, but it has no "unattended upgrades" whatsoever (they simply don't exist as a deamon/process) and above all, it never runs the update-apt-xapi thing except when I actually update. On K18, it felt like it was running every hour or so - and just when I didn't need it.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I have this idea that Neon unstable is VLTS, like it's a "rolling distro", it never expires.

Comment

The underlying Kubuntu does expire. Neon just keeps pushing Plasma updates that the LTS doesn't get.

But I may be wrong, since I don't use Neon, but do use Kubuntu ...

Comment

I consider it pseudo rolling release. The base of Neon is Ubuntu LTS, which does have an EOL. The KDE portion of Neon is more along the lines of rolling release. I would think if you are wanting a true rolling release with KDE, maybe something like Manjaro with KDE. I think even OpenSuse has a rolling release version as well with KDE. That's what I would go with if you want everything to not expire.

Comment

I'm afraid I can't use something called "Manjaro". I'm (mainly) Italian
                              Still, if my neon ever "expires"... I'll think about it. Not Manjaro, some other solution ;·)

Comment

Working...
                              X