This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSD Re-Install

So I have a couple of smallish (240GB) SSDs laying around that is have wanted to use in my desktop unit. So having a nice long weekend, it seemed fitting to make that happen. First things first, I made 3 backups, using my usual external drives. That went quickly, and well.

The SSD went in a couple of weeks ago, so physically it was a matter of unplugging a spinner and plugging in the SSD - easy enough. So, from there it was a matter of plugging in the installer USB (from my stash of thumb drives), turning on the power, wondering around the UEFI pages a bit, and then a restart to the installer. The installer worked well, the SSD partitioning was no problem (ESP 400MB, / and a SWAP of 16 GB) and left the SSD with a monstrous (for me) / partition. This time I put all of my /home on the other, larger spinner (instead of splitting /home as I did before).

I removed KDEPIM, Cantata, and a couple other things that I don't use. Then installed a list of things I do use. And finally restored configs from one of the backups (mostly for Firefox and Thunderbird/Lightning). Then set ae theme, icons, desktop pretties, and the usual other small tasks. Reboot, went incredibly fast - I really like having that SSD holding the boot and programs.

All is well this morning. I expect there won't be any issues, but will monitor. Most of the rewrites should happen on the spinner, but I'll check that trim is setup and actually running later this week.

Have great day everyone
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

removed KDEPIM, Cantata, and a couple other things that I don't use
    In the future, you might want try the 'minimal' install option, so these are not installed to begin with

Comment

Yeah, you're right, and I remembered something about that about 2 -3 seconds after I started the actual install

Fortunately, removing KDEPIM and Cantata in Synaptic is just a few clicks

Oh well, Had nothing else to do - I was flipping back and forth between a Star Wars marathon and a Lord of the Rings marathon while the actual install was running
      Last edited by jglen490; May 28, 2019, 10:29 AM.
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Check to see if akonadi is still there, you won't need that. Try running apt autoremove if you haven't already, that may remove all the components. And mpd (from Cantata), as well. Not sure if these daemons/servers are removed when KDEPIM and Cantata are uninstalled.

Comment

Thanks! I will check mpd, as I didn't see anything else included with Cantata in the removal list. Akonadi will come out also, and while I remember doing an autoremove somewhere in the process, it never hurts to do it again. Now that I think on it, that autoremove was right after the big major update right after the install but before doing app "adjustments", so I'll do clean up when I get home this evening.

I really like the boot response I'm getting from the SSD. It is a cheap one (Kingston 240GB) that I got on sale from Amazon a few months ago, but I'm hoping it'll last until another sale on a better SSD. I don't "need" 240 GB in the / partition even with a SWAP partition and the ESP, but what the heck ... There is an M.2 connector on the Gigabyte MB, I might even try that next time as a boot drive.

Comment

yeah speeeed is always fun, even cheap SSDs are a great improvement. Wait till you get the chance to use the m.2, if you can get one of the zippy ones

I have a middling fast nvme in my laptop, and that rare time I have to boot windows on the HDD to keep it updated is pure h-e-double-hockey-sticks
            Utter agony

Comment

mpd and akonadi have hit the road!

Comment

Working...
              X