Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu Backports no longer updating 18.04?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Backports no longer updating 18.04?

So... just wondering. Googling reveals all kinds of inquiries as to when 5.13 might land in Kubuntu backports, but it never did. The answer, though, always seemed to be: Any week now. In the meantime, we've moved onto 5.14 and Kubuntu Backports is still dead in the water (though they're updating 18.10).

So is the Kubuntu backports PPA done with 18.04?

Okay if it is, but maybe I should move on to KDE NEON?

As I understand it, getting updates past the LTS version of Plasma (5.12.x) is problematic as these require a newer version of Qt. As Kubuntu uses the same archives as Ubuntu, this is problematic, as it would break a lot of non-Plasma/KDE software, as is seen by users of KDE Neon. 18.04 is an LTS release, after all, anyway. Sure, they probably could add it to the PPAs, but the problems of broken software and the like does not go away.

You could use Neon, else upgrade to newer Kubuntu releases, whichever one works for you, really.

Comment

Okay, thanks. I'll interpret that as meaning Kubuntu won't be backporting anything more to 18.04. Not the end of the world, as you say, but good to know. I'll stop looking for updates.

Comment

Originally posted by vtpoet View Post
        Okay, thanks. I'll interpret that as meaning Kubuntu won't be backporting anything more to 18.04. Not the end of the world, as you say, but good to know. I'll stop looking for updates.
        They will be backporting 5.12.x series updates.

https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Plasma_5

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
          They will be backporting 5.12.x series updates.

https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Plasma_5
          Well, not backporting, as there are no 5.12 updates in newer versions of Kubuntu, so there are no packages to 'backport' from. Just direct updates built specifically for 18.04, as they release them - in the normal Updates PPA (NOT the Backports one)

Of course this is just semantics, but does indicate which PPA things come from, kinda sorta.

Comment

@vtpoet You have to ask yourself what you truly want: A stable system with bug and security updates --OR-- a system that has a stable base with the most up-to-date KDE --OR-- the most up-date system overall (KDE + everything else). If it is the first option, then stay with kubuntu 18.04 until the next LTS version (20.04). If it is the second option, start over with KDE neon. If it is the third option, Install 18.10 (if you prefer to stay with an ubuntu based distro).

What are you looking for?
            Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
            tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

//You have to ask yourself what you truly want://

Yeah, that's life ain't it. What's the Chinese curse? May you be granted what you wish for?

Comment

I have stuck with the last couple of Kubuntu LTS versions and have not been disappointed. I will also likely stay with 18.04 LTS as platform stability is my top priority.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

With 18.04, so far so good. All my problems prior to 18.04 actually had to do with Linux Kernels screwing up one thing or another --- bluetooth, wireless, suspend, USB, etc... The Linux Kernels have had a disastrous run lately. I'm currently using 4.18.5 and everything just works. I might never update the Kernel again. Updates to Plasma have *not* been a problem and have usually improved performance. I might switch to KDE Neon. We'll see...

Comment

Or you could try Manjaro KDE Stable which I'm running now on my old laptop. We've got Plasma 5.14.3 now.

I'm finding Manjaro KDE Stable no more unstable than Kubuntu although the large number of updates can be annoying at times. I'm not a "bleeding edge" fan but it's not too bad at all (so far). I'm taking Timeshift daily snapshots just in case something goes really bad.
                    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Looks Interesting. They say they have a 32 bit version, but I'm not finding it yet. I wouldn't mind testing Manjaro KDE on my 32 bit system first. I'm used to the debian package management system and do everything package related via terminal. How hard is Arch's system to learn? And how easy is it to install third party apps like Chrome, Vivaldi, or apps, like Softmaker Office, that normally only offer RPM or DEB based packages? I also rely on PPAs to keep Libre Office "fresh". How does arch accomplish the same?

Comment

"How hard is Arch's system to learn?"

Arch is a vey different beast from Ubuntu/Kubuntu or even straight Debian. Arch is a very good OS, but it isn't for the inexperienced Linux user, IMO. From my limited experience with Arch, it's an OS that demands attention to detail and ridged adherence to system maintenance and package management. Arch can and does 'break' if you don't maintain it properly (which means doing things the 'Arch way'). The knowledge that exists in the Arch Support Forum is extensive, but to be blunt, if one isn't doing things the 'Arch way', you will find them (their Forum) to be terse and very direct to outright hostile. Their Forum has a reputation of not being 'new user' friendly/tolerant. They expect you to learn the 'Arch way' and won't 'hold your hand' as you go about learning how to use/manage Arch Linux. Expect to do a lot of reading of their FAQs and documentation.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, okay, thanks Snowhog. Sounds like something I should stay away from. Your description makes them sound like holdovers from the command line purists of the late 90's and early aughts.

Comment

I wanted to 'paint a picture' in glaring light, but don't get me wrong; Arch is a very good OS. Hand holding isn't their forte though, and they let you know that very quickly. But, if you are willing to take the time and 'learn', then it can be 'fun' to use.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

//I wanted to 'paint a picture' in glaring ligh...t//

You succeeded. And that's not the first time the Arch community has been described this way. Kubuntu right now is not giving me any troubles. Plasma is working. Bluetooth is working. KDEConnect is working. Even the flipping Linux Kernel is working. I'm beginning to think I should stay put.

The one thing I haven't sorted out yet is the hideous appearance of GTK-based apps in Plasma. I've tried tweaking the themes in GTK settings, but to no luck yet. But that's a separate topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X