X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems with fresh installed kubuntu 18.04

Hey guys,

I have a new system with dual boot, windows and latest kubuntu. I do have 2 problems left, that I can't resolve by myself.

1) It does only boot sometimes. sounds strange, but its real. When I choose kubuntu in the bootloader it sometimes stops with the error codes in the picture (sorry that I dont copy the text for you, I only could take a picture)
    Let's say one out of three times it just boots up. What is this? Does not make sense for me.

I already flashed the latest version of my UEFI.
    https://imgur.com/a/hYuDXXB

2) It does not recognize my raid 1 drive, created in the MSI UEFI
    my chip is AMD B350. Windows does see it, kubuntu not. Not even in the partition manager. My operating systems are installed on an ssd drive.

Code:
    Device             Start       End   Sectors   Size Type
    /dev/nvme0n1p1      2048   1023999   1021952   499M Windows recovery environment
    /dev/nvme0n1p2   1024000   1226751    202752    99M EFI System
    /dev/nvme0n1p3   1226752   1259519     32768    16M Microsoft reserved
    /dev/nvme0n1p4   1259520 225279999 224020480 106,8G Microsoft basic data
    /dev/nvme0n1p5 225280000 241281023  16001024   7,6G Linux swap
    /dev/nvme0n1p6 241281024 488372223 247091200 117,8G Linux filesystem
    3) The system runs good until it somehow freezes, no matter what application i currently run. Music keeps playing and I can move the mouse curser, but the system won't do anything als and does not recognize key commands like ctrl+alt+F keys or ctrl,alt,del etc. I think it may be a grafic driver issue? I already activated the nvidia driver in the driver manager, but it did not change. Only a hard reset is working to get out.

If you guys have any ideas i would be happy :-)

Best regards ben

Not sure if it is any help but ubuntu was randomly freezing for me a while back and it had to do with the c state of my processor. If I went into BIOS and changed it from c7 to c1 it was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by masonbee View Post
      Not sure if it is any help but ubuntu was randomly freezing for me a while back and it had to do with the c state of my processor. If I went into BIOS and changed it from c7 to c1 it was fine.
      Hi

thx for your answer. I don't think you can choose the c-states by youself?? It is more likely your system does that for you. Maybe you disabled the option that your system goes into the c7 state and then freezes? Whatever - this is a good hint, I just read of freezes occuring in this content with my motherboard so I will check my options in BIOS. THX :-)

Anyone got an Idea what about the rest of the issues?

best regards
      ben

Comment

Try the following:

1. Let's see your hardware:

enter the following commands:

Code:
        sudo apt install nvme-cli
        Code:
        sudo nvme list
        Post the output of teh 2nd command

2. run the following command and post the output:

Code:
        sudo fstrim -va
        3. Disable secure boot in EFI.

Comment

Originally posted by masonbee View Post
          I took a look at those features in the UEFI but there are plenty of options. I did try one but it did not change anything. I put it back to default.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
            Try the following:

3. Disable secure boot in EFI.
            I checked UEFI and I think it is already disabled?
            Find 2 screenshots attached.

https://imgur.com/vJKCV1C
            https://imgur.com/a/a1d2eBo

I will post the answers to your points 1 and 2 soon.

Cheers
            dash

Comment

Originally posted by dashbm View Post
              I checked UEFI and I think it is already disabled?
              Find 2 screenshots attached.

https://imgur.com/vJKCV1C
              https://imgur.com/a/a1d2eBo

I will post the answers to your points 1 and 2 soon.

Cheers
              dash
              That looks fine. I have an MSI b350 tomahawk and the options are slightly different.

Make sure your efi boot priorities are set right. You can choose windows boot manager or ubuntu, make sure ubuntu is first.

You can check your boot order with this command from within Linux:

Code:
              sudo efibootmgr -v
              Your RAID problem is more complex. I assume in Windows you are using AMD RAidXpert software? That's why windows can recognize the drives. This type of RAID is sometimes called Fake RAID or Software assisted RAID. The motherboard creates the array, but the OS needs a driver to "see" the array.

Linux prefers it's own implementation of software RAID called mdadm. It may or may not play nice with AMD software RAID.

You can try it out with this:

Code:
              sudo apt install mdadm
              then reboot and see if there are any /dev/mdX devices that show up.

Comment

Try the following:
                1. Let's see your hardware:
                enter the following commands:
                Code:
                sudo apt install nvme-cli
                Code:
                sudo nvme list
                Post the output of teh 2nd command
                2. run the following command and post the output:
                Code:
                sudo fstrim -va
                Code:
                sudo nvme list
                Node             SN                    Model                                    Namespace  Usage                      Format           FW Rev  
                ----------------  -------------------- ---------------------------------------- ---------  -------------------------- ---------------- --------
                /dev/nvme0n1      S465NB0K821206F      Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB                 1          41,03  GB / 250,06  GB    512   B +  0 B   1B2QEXE7
                Code:
                sudo fstrim -va 
                /: 3 GiB (3184922624 bytes) trimmed

Comment

That looks fine. I have an MSI b350 tomahawk and the options are slightly different.
                  Make sure your efi boot priorities are set right. You can choose windows boot manager or ubuntu, make sure ubuntu is first.
                  You can check your boot order with this command from within Linux:
                  Code:
                  sudo efibootmgr -v
                  Code:
                  sudo efibootmgr -v

BootCurrent: 0001 
                  Timeout: 1 seconds 
                  BootOrder: 0001,0000 
                  Boot0000  Windows Boot Manager  HD(2,GPT,6a911161-d149-4cbe-a65e-a2006bb6020c,0xfa000,0x31800)/File(\EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI)WINDOWS...x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}... 
                  Boot0001* ubuntu        HD(2,GPT,6a911161-d149-4cbe-a65e-a2006bb6020c,0xfa000,0x31800)/File(\EFI\UBUNTU\SHIMX64.EFI)
                  So I should change this?

Your RAID problem is more complex. I assume in Windows you are using AMD RAidXpert software? That's why windows can recognize the drives. This type of RAID is sometimes called Fake RAID or Software assisted RAID. The motherboard creates the array, but the OS needs a driver to "see" the array.
                  Linux prefers it's own implementation of software RAID called mdadm. It may or may not play nice with AMD software RAID.
                  You can try it out with this:
                  Code:
                  sudo apt install mdadm
                  then reboot and see if there are any /dev/mdX devices that show up.
                  I did not really install a RaidXpert Software in Windows, but yes, I activated the RaidXpert Option to access the B350 Raid Controller settings.
                  On my old system kubuntu could see my raid drive... And I created it the same way.

Ok, I installed the mdadm software but there does not show up a new drive after reboot.
                  Last edited by dashbm; Oct 25, 2018, 01:54 PM.

Comment

What was the previous version of kubuntu?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X