This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Suspend Issue on wakeup

Dell 5570 laptop, 8 GB Ram, Intel i5 8th Gen, running up to date Kubuntu 18.04.1, KDE Plasma 5.12.6.
    Suspend on laptop close works fine with one exception. If I close the laptop lid while on battery and then plug ac power in then on wakeup the laptop is frozen requiring a hard shutdown and restart. If I remember to open the lid after plugging in then close the lid again everything is fine. I did install TLP which had no effect on this strange phenomena. I also had to reinstall Kubuntu as I wanted to get rid of the windows partition and this had no effect. Checking the error logs shows the lid open and closed and sleep terminated without error. Just annoying, I am 77 and memory is not as good as it used to be so I wind up restarting a lot
    Any thoughts?

Worth a try:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

nomodeset
    The newest kernels have moved the video mode setting into the kernel. So all the programming of the hardware specific clock rates and registers on the video card happen in the kernel rather than in the X driver when the X server starts.. This makes it possible to have high resolution nice looking splash (boot) screens and flicker free transitions from boot splash to login screen. Unfortunately, on some cards this doesnt work properly and you end up with a black screen. Adding the nomodeset parameter instructs the kernel to not load video drivers and use BIOS modes instead until X is loaded.
    In /etc/default/grub change the line
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    to
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

Reboot.
    Test.

PS: I'm 77 too!
    My memory is setting over on the couch, reading!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks

Did the edit and time will tell. Thanks for the input. My brain's name is Android who is great friends with Alexa.:-)

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Worth a try:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

In /etc/default/grub change the line
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
      to
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

Reboot.
      Test.

PS: I'm 77 too!
      My memory is setting over on the couch, reading!

Comment

also check to see that in system settings>Power Managment> you have lid closing set to suspend on both "on AC power" and "on Battery" tabs.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          also check to see that in system settings>Power Managment> you have lid closing set to suspend on both "on AC power" and "on Battery" tabs.

VINNY
          Power settings are correct and I had to reverse the GRUB file as I was getting ye olde black screen on waking. TLP was also giving me problems so purged it. Now back to where I was before I started. Oh well, just a minor annoyance and #indows is much worse. A lot has been submitted online regarding this and there are reports submitted so I think I will wait on a fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Kennycm View Post
            Did the edit and time will tell. Thanks for the input. My brain's name is Android who is great friends with Alexa.:-)
            When my primary brain is not available, or for technical issues, I consult my secondary brain, StartPage. Without them it would be a miracle if I remembered to zip up my pants each morning!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X