Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WPS and 64bit WEP not supported 'out of the box'?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] WPS and 64bit WEP not supported 'out of the box'?

I have installed kubunto on an old laptop - I have two wifi networks and neither are useable from network manager.

I have setup a wpa_supplicant config that works for the WPS network - except not automatically doing DHCP.

I have tried multiple ways of disabling network manager and auto running the wpa_supplicant and dhclient - but while they work from the command line, I cannot get them to autorun on startup.

I tried local.rc, a systemd start up service etc and other ways -- this was all from online instructions, I am not familiar enough with linux to know this myself.

What is the recommended way to go?

My original command line script was:-
    #! /bin/sh
    systemctl stop NetworkManager.service
    wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlp2s0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    dhclient wlp2s0

which worked online, but this has been hacked around quite a bit in trying to get it to auto run (I disabled network manager, etc) but this doesn't work, so I am thinking of reinstalling from scratch (to undo all my changes) and start again -- once I know what I should be doing!

Finally fixed this - network-manager service needs ifsupdown installed to work correctly. And it isn't installed by default.

Comment

WEP is not supported because it is not secure.
      ifsupdown is not in BIonic's repository.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        it is a typo methinks

Comment

LOL ,,ya they have apps for your phone now to brake a WEP key ,,,,,it wasn't that hard 6 years ago even

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            it is a typo methinks
            More than likely. Since he got his connection going I only wanted him to know that Kubuntu wasn't "broken" because it didn't have ifupdown installed.

The reason is that Ubuntu and its derivatives have moved to netplan

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MigratingToNetplan#Rationale
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply I am pretty sure the docs say that wep 128bit is supported, just not 64bit. I'd have that network unsecured, but it needs wep64 for some legacy client kit.

The file ifstatus is being accessed by network manager out of the box - this file is missing without ifsupdown being installed... So I'd have thought network-manager needs amending so as not to rely on it, or ifsupdown needs to be included... Unless a different componet can provide the file?

All I know is that having set up the wpa_supplicant settings, network manager throws a status error complaining about ifstatus being missing, just installing ifsupdown makes that error go away (and removing ifsupdown makes the error come back).

Comment

Still, WEP is inherently unsecure and WPS has had bugs written since 2009. WPS is probably not a priority. That doesn't mean it'll never show up as a single feature, just not now. How you deal with that information is, like everything else in Linux, a choice.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I think the choice for a lot of non-technical users will be to not use Linux. Or use the versions that are perceived as friendly - like IOS or Android... I've never had to dig this deep to set up wifi on raspberry pi or arduno... although I am probably about ready to have another crack at getting a pi based hub to allow push button wps connections... I have wasted many hours trying to set that up... you can't expect a home automation wifi device to come with a keyboard!

Thanks for the input.

Comment

IOS is not Linux or made using the Linux kernel or utilities. Apple did steal Komqueror and relabeled it Safari.

Contrary to Windows fab boys claims, Linux usage has exploded since Vista, the Win8 and now Win10. Microsoft’s only remaining dominance is in gaming, and consoles are destroying. WinPhone’s market share is well below 3% and Microsoft’s overall market share has dropped from 95% to less than 50%. It continues to fall. The Windows 10 Internet help forums are full of people with security and compatibility problems despite the fact that their PC OEM did most of the install into hardware that was designed to be Win10 compatible.

From a user experience pushing a mouse around or using the keyboard is NO different in Kubuntu than it is in Win 10. IMO, Plasma5 has more power and beauty than the Win10 GUI.

The “non-technical” user who can’t download, burn and install Kubuntu won’t find completing the Win10 install any easier. In fact, about a month ago I helped a PhD practicing psychologist complete his Win10 install (actually I did it all). His remark as he was watching me connect the WiFi, the printer, LibreOffice and other configs and apps was “How is the average user supposed to know how to do that?” Answer: they don’t. They usually pay the store tech to do it. I just finished what the store tech didn’t do because he didn’t do house calls.

Comment

Working...
                    X