X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop Boots Directly Into Windows 10 After Succesful Kubuntu Install

Hello,

I installed Kubuntu 10.04 w/o problem, but the laptop goes straight to Windows 10. I don't see Grub anymore as is the case in my older laptops. My unit is a relatively new ACER Aspire E 11, and I can't even go into the BIOS regardless of the key I press at boot up.

I haven't played with hardware in many years, so I'm not up-to-date on recent changes. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You probably need to change some things in the bios to either enable the boot menu, or change some other booting options.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/instal...er-aspire-e11/

Comment

That machine is UEFI and grub does not alway find the right partition to install efi-64 file. which is needed.
      You can try Boot Repair or reinstalling grub to see if it will install correctly. Boot repair is found here with instructions.
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

There must be a way to boot into BIOS, you just have to research it. However, you can boot into Kubuntu, and at Konsole issue this command:
        sudo efibootmgr -v
        and see what is happening with the boot order.
        You can use efibootmgr to change boot order, too.
        See: man efibootmgr
        You could also install rEFInd (in Kubuntu, available through Muon), and that would take care of the booting for you.

UEFI, GPT, ESP, GRUB2-EFI, (dual)-booting, fixing things
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-fixing-things
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If you can't boot into Kubuntu at all, then perhaps kc1di's suggestion to get Boot Repair (from Windows or from a live Kubuntu session) is probably the easiest thing to do. In fact, if you read that list of how-to's, one describes how to boot into your live Kubuntu USB flash drive and from there make Boot Repair (to fix the problem by reinstalling GRUB), or do repairs (from your Kubuntu live USB flash drive), or make a rEFInd CD (which would get you booted into Kubuntu). If somehow you can get into Kubuntu (on the hard drive), you could try to re-install GRUB using Konsole, easily, as follows:
          sudo grub-install
          sudo update-grub
          In theory, that should fix this.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

... and yet another thought or issue. You say you couldn't get booted into your BIOS? Then when you installed Kubuntu using your live 64-bit Kubuntu installer (DVD or USB flash drive), how did you boot the computer to that UEFI Kubuntu installation medium? Did you really get a good installation? Is it a UEFI installation?

Comment

Duplicate ...
              Last edited by jglen490; Aug 07, 2018, 07:57 PM. Reason: Duplicate
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                You probably need to change some things in the bios to either enable the boot menu, or change some other booting options.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/instal...er-aspire-e11/
                According to the article, F12 should display at least the boot sequence menu. However, with UEFI you need to get into the firmware to adjust certain settings such as "fastboot". Per this article https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answ...644.1533692384 F2 should open up the firmware, unless it's in the Windows sleep state which seems like the machine is off but it's really just suspended. I think that can be fixed inside Windows first, then shutdown and reboot while repeatedly pressing the F2 key. At least I think. UEFI is a little more complex, especially with Windows, but not magic.
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

F2 or F12?

We have't seen the poster since 7-30-18!

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                    F2 or F12?

Another "Drive-by."
                    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                      Another "Drive-by."
                      Hate it when that happens
                      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                        F2 or F12?

Well, in case the OP returns, it's F12 to display and select from available boot options from the firmware, and F2 to actually get into the firmware to make changes - according to the linked article.

Comment

I doubt it. While I don't think the op was doing a copypasta from here, they do mention using 10.04.......

......and the "relatively new" ACER Aspire E 11 ??
                          Last edited by claydoh; Aug 08, 2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Annoyance factor = 0.0001.

Maybe someone who actually owns that hardware as a "new to me" situation can get something out of it.

Comment

Working...
                            X