X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] multiple displays issues

hi everybody.

i am back on kubuntu after a few years on plain ubuntu.
    i have a configuration at work with my laptop (hp spectre x360 pro whatever) and 2 external iiyama full hd displays.

i installed 18.04 back in may and everything has worked well until recently.

now if i boot with the external monitors hooked up, i get to the login manager alright, all 3 displays are active, but when kde starts up...
    no preconfigured panels show up, no wallpaper is loaded...
    everything is black.

i can still alt-f2 and start applications, though.

i managed a work around to get at least 1 external display to work.
    but that involves:
    - boot kubuntu with the external displays unplugged
    - plug in no more than 1 external display

and as soon as i plug in the second external display...panels disappear, wallpaper goes black, ...

i tried removing .local/share/kscreen and do the displays set up again.
    no changes.

i'm on 18.04 lts (with all the latest updates installed).
    nothing fancy in my sources.list:
    ===
    deb http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic main restricted universe multiverse
    deb http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    deb http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ bionic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security main restricted universe multiverse
    deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu bionic partner
    ===

any idea anyone?

thanks in advance,
    j.
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Can you start by running
    Code:
    inxi -Fxz
    in konsole. Then copy and paste the results to a code box.

If you don't have inxi, then do a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install inxi
    to install it.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Here...

Code:
      # inxi -Fxz
      System:    Host: peanuts Kernel: 4.15.0-23-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0 Console: tty 1
                Distro: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
      Machine:   Device: laptop System: HP product: HP Spectre Pro x360 G2 serial: <filter>
                Mobo: HP model: 8197 v: 33.56 serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: F.03 date: 01/15/2016
      Battery    BAT0: charge: 52.5 Wh 100.0% condition: 52.5/52.5 Wh (100%)
                model: Hewlett-Packard Primary status: Full
      CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-6600U (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.3 cache: 4096 KB
                flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11232
                clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 500 MHz 2: 500 MHz 3: 500 MHz 4: 500 MHz
      Graphics:  Card: Intel HD Graphics 520 bus-ID: 00:02.0
                Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
                Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
                OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
                version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes
      Audio:     Card-1 Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
                Card-2 GN Netcom driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 001-005
                Card-3 DisplayLink driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 002-003
                Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-23-generic
      Network:   Card: Intel Wireless 8260 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
                IF: wlo1 state: down mac: <filter>
      Drives:    HDD Total Size: 512.1GB (21.2% used)
                ID-1: /dev/sda model: SanDisk_SD7SN6S size: 512.1GB temp: 41C
      Partition: ID-1: / size: 47G used: 18G (41%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
                ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.19GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
      RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
      Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 38.5C mobo: N/A
                Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
      Info:      Processes: 231 Uptime: 6 min Memory: 1894.0/7859.6MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
                Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56
      gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

it's gone.
        don't know what it is/was.
        it's still not ideal.
        yesterday afternoon i tried to hook up the third display again and it started working fine once again.
        this morning i had to leave for a meeting.
        when i came back i plugged back in the two displays (same interfaces, same order) and ... the configuration of the second display is gone.
        but at least the desktop environment did not crash, so i can continue working.
        i'd say we can close this issue.
        thanks @jglen490 for your help.
        cheers.
        gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

if you go to system settings>Display and Monitor with the external Monitors plugged in , do you see them (grayed out) in the setting window somewhere to the outside of configuration window ?

if so , drag and drop it where you wand it to be oriented as regard to the main display when you do this the settings will change to this monitor , so click "enabled" and then "apply" ,,,then again for the next Monitor.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

thanks @vinnywright.
            sorry i didn't keep an eye on this thread after the issue was resolved.
            i must say this "displays management" part of kubuntu is still not as robust as i would like it to be.
            i have to change working environment often, hence displays configurations.
            my .local/share/kscreen directory has at least 20 or more different configurations saved.
            sometimes i just have to wipe it and start all over.
            it's not proper sys adm but i see that i must do this from time to time to avoid annoying (mis)behaviours.
            i understand it's not the easiest thing in the world to keep up with all these displays brands, types, features, configurations...
            the people that develop kubuntu did a great job.
            i ditched it a few years back in some frustration...but now i use it in production every day and i see that my iEverything colleagues with their MacBooks are a lot worse off lately.

nonetheless i have another small (curious) issue i need to investigate...which i'll post separately.

cheers everyone.
            gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Working...
            X