This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nicrnicr View Post
    Thank you very much GreyGeek & thank you again woodsmoke :-)
    As you can see, at least from my view point, activities are a way to add individual wall papers and desktop widgets to virtual desktops. I use the old fashion way for creating virtual desktops.
    First, I add the pager widget to the panel and slide it to the left, next to the KMenu.
    Second, system settings --> Desktop Behavior --> Virtual Desktops.
    Then I add 4 desktops, set them to two rows of two, and give them short names of D1, D2, D3 and D4. I set "slide" as the means to switch between them, but I have set up hot keys. I can't put a different wallpaper or widgets on each one, but that is not important to me. It's main purpose is to give me more desktop space for open applications.

There is also another way to do that. Install the widget that minimizes all open windows to show just the desktop, and then open just the app you want by clicking on its minimized icon in the panel.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi GreyGeek & woodsmoke,

Before I asked you how I can start an application with KDE Menu Editor, I already asked in another forum how to do it and someone wrote me that my system is unsane. After I asked you, I asked in a third forum and one also wrote me that my system has a problem.

This third forum showed me that it is possible to define how to start an application with global shortcuts. I could do it for only one application. It failed for all the others.
      Last edited by nicrnicr; Jun 11, 2018, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nicrnicr View Post
        Hi GreyGeek & woodsmoke,

Before I asked you how I can start an application with KDE Menu Editor, I already asked in another forum how to do it and someone wrote me that my system is unsane. After I asked you, I asked in a third forum and one also wrote me that my system has a problem.

This third forum showed me that it is possible to define how to start an application with global shortcuts. I could do it for only one application. It failed for all the others.
        The first guy who replied IS insane! The second guy is only crazy. The third guy is right but IMO not always a good idea because if you type the way I do (tremors and all) you'd be lucky if you didn't open a dozen apps all at once.

1) right mouse on the KGear menu icon.
        2) choose "Edit Applications". The gui KDE Menu Editor appears.
        3) select which main or top level "menu" you want your application item to appear. A right arrow pointing to a menu entry indicates that there are submenus under that menu. If you want your app to appear under a submenu then left click on it to select it. In the right panel are two tabs. For menus and submenus the "Advanced" tab is grayed out. Say that under "Eduction" you left click on "Miscellaneous". Then you left click the "New Item..." icon in the icon toolbar above. A dialog will appear asking you to enter a name for your application. Enter that name and left click the OK button. Immediately a down arrow appears in front of "Miscellaneous" indicating submenus or items exist underneath it. At the same time your application name appears under "Miscellaneous" and the name of your application appears in the "Name:" text box under the General tab in the right panel.
        4) Enter a description of your application (not necessary but helpful)
        5) Enter a comment (also not necessary but maybe helpful)
        6) To the right of "Name" & "Description" is a square box outline. That is where the app icon appears. Left click on it. Another dialog appears which allows you to choose an icon to use for your application. When you select the one you want click OK.
        7) Enter the command to call your application. It may be the application name if it is executable. Or, it may be something like "java minecraft" for other kinds of applications. The folder icon to the right of the "Command:" text entry box allows you to browse to where your command is and select it.
        8) Click on the "Advanced" tab
        9) If your application requires a certain path setting relative to it then enter that path. For example, if I were adding an icon to start up my minecraft server, which is in /home/jerry/MCserver112, and that is where the java file is at, that is the path I would enter. The folder icon allows you to browse to that location and select that path.
        10) If you want the application to run in a terminal (because it is a terminal application) then check the "Run In Terminal" box. My minecraft server is a console application, even when running without nogui, so I check that box.
        11) If the application has to be run by a different user then check the box "Run as a different user", and enter the user's name in the text box that activates.
        12) If you want to assign a hot key to the app then enter the key combo you want to use. Make sure you are not hijacking another key combo, especially the global ones.
        13) Check over your work to eliminate typos, or other mistakes.
        14) Click the "Save" icon in the icon toolbar.
        15) close the KDE Menu Editor dialog.
        16) Test your new entry. If it works, congratulations. If it does not work the edit the entry and fix your errors.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thank you very much GreyGeek for your writing. I think I do all what you writes.

I wrote that I could only open one application with a shortcut. Now I can open no application at all.

Comment

You may have conflicts with global shortcuts. Here's mine:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	globalshortcuts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	643881

Comment

Hello GreyGeek & woodsmoke,

Thank you very much for your help, though you couldn't help me. Indeed I gave my computer to an expert who stated that my layout can only start software with the F1, ..., F12 and the numbers at the right. He said that it is a bug with the layout BÉPO.
              Cheers

Comment

Another layout didn't solve the prolbem.

Comment

I belive that "expert" is wrong.
                  There are LOTS of folks in Germany running Kubuntu (16, 17 and 18) without problems using the German layout.

IF your keyboard does not allow you to use Alt+F2 simultaneously to bring up the krunner at the top of the page, in which you can enter terminal commands like the names of programs, then something is wrong with your install. Did you do a checksum on the ISO you used to install it? Did you checksum the USB or CDROM after you burned the ISO to it?

Comment

Thanks for your answer GrayGeek!
                    I have a french keyboard with the new layout BÉPO which is in Kubuntu only since a few years.
                    I also have problems with Libreoffice:*There are caracters which are not written.

Do you mind if I checked if the numbers are correct after the installation? No, I didn't. I did it the first time I installed Kubuntu. Since that time I may have installed Kubuntu 20 times (I'm always in a hurry) and I don't take the time to do it. Particularly the last time that I*tried approx. 8 times to install kubuntu with you. It was so hard. I only failed the first 7 times. In such circumstances I don't take the time to check.

So yes, may be the installation is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X