This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kubuntu 18.04

I have installed Kubuntu 18.04 from scratch (not as an upgrade) in a new partition but am finding some teething problems. Among them, when I minimise an application, instead of dropping into the task bar it closes - or at least disappears. And the date in the task bar shows as 11/5/18 whereas I would like it to be 11 May 2018 and I cannot find a way to amend that short date to dd MMM yyyy. Would anyone else have encountered these two, please, or have any ideas?

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...de-4175595458/

You probably won't like this answer:
    https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-comes-with-de
    Last edited by GreyGeek; May 10, 2018, 08:28 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Sayers View Post
      ... the date in the task bar shows as 11/5/18 whereas I would like it to be 11 May 2018 and I cannot find a way to amend that short date to dd MMM yyyy. Would anyone else have encountered these two, please, or have any ideas?
      The date format shown in the system tray digital clock has always been an issue in Plasma 5 for me too. Fortunately a third party developer has come to the rescue with a new Plasma 5 widget called "Event Calendar".

To install this: To get the Event Calendar widget you will have to download it as a new widget. Then right mouse click on the clock and choose "Alternatives" to choose it.

Event Calendar has a very configurable section called "Time Format" which redresses some of the missing options we used to have for setting the date/time format as we like. I have mine set to "ddd d MMMM yyyy" and it looks like this:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_174137_.png
Views:	1
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	643858
      Last edited by Rod J; May 12, 2018, 12:52 AM.
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

... when I minimise an application, instead of dropping into the task bar it closes - or at least disappears.
        Rereading your post just now it occurs to me that you may have inadvertently deleted the default Task Manager widget from the panel? If so, when you minimise any program it would just disappear as you describe.
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Since my date format is in Spanish, it automatically goes to the '12 de mayo de 2018' format. Is the US the only country that still puts the month first? The newest metric way is: 2018-05-12. I don't find that very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
            The date format shown in the system tray digital clock has always been an issue in Plasma 5 for me too. Fortunately a third party developer has come to the rescue with a new Plasma 5 widget called "Event Calendar".

To install this: To get the Event Calendar widget you will have to download it as a new widget. Then right mouse click on the clock and choose "Alternatives" to choose it.

Event Calendar has a very configurable section called "Time Format" which redresses some of the missing options we used to have for setting the date/time format as we like. I have mine set to "ddd d MMMM yyyy" and it looks like this:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]7545[/ATTACH]
            Great widget, Rod, thanks for the heads up!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Strewth! I am not sure I like either, but I followed Rod's lead to the Event Calendar and after a bit of poking around got just what I wanted - thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                Rereading your post just now it occurs to me that you may have inadvertently deleted the default Task Manager widget from the panel? If so, when you minimise any program it would just disappear as you describe.
                Thank you again, that seems to have solved that problem. But I now have another problem with Kmail - I will put it into a separate post.

Comment

Strewth! I am not sure I like either, but I followed Rod's lead to the Event Calendar and after a bit of poking around got just what I wanted - thank you.
                  I took a look at Event Calendar and liked what I saw, so I installed it too!

Comment

Working...
                  X