This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 18.04 VPN DNS Leak

Hi, Installed Kubuntu 18.04 a few days ago and I believe I have found a critical bug.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS is leaking my ISP DNS when using a VPN.

I set up my VPN through System Settings - Connections, rebooted and connected, visited dnsleak.com and ipleak.net and noticed that my ISP DNS is still shown. My VPN IP address is showing, so I am connected to the VPN.

Went back to System Settings - Connections - VPN - IPv4 and changed Method to "Automatic (Only addresses)" and added googles DNS to the "DNS Servers" field, rebooted and reconnected.
    No change, still shows my ISP DNS.

I was using Ubuntu 18.04 without this problem before I installed Kubuntu 18.04.

Can someone point me to how and where to report this.

What VPN server/service provider are you connecting to?

Comment

OVPN for daily use https://www.ovpn.com/
      and
      PrivateVPN for Netflix use https://privatevpn.com/

OVPN have their own linux client I can use without any DNS leaks but PrivateVPN needs to be configured in Kubuntu.

Comment

You will have to check with them, as the VPN service is the one that would be responsible for this, not the client

It seems that PrivateVPN may be known to leak

Comment

If I go to the IPv4 tab of my Wi-Fi settings and set Method to "Automatic (Only addresses)" and "DNS Servers" to 1.1.1.1 and reconnect, this connection will use Cloudflares DNS, as it should.

If I instead do the same procedure on the VPN connection, it will not use Cloudflares DNS.

If this behavior is correct the "DNS Servers" fields needs to be removed from VPN Settings as it is of no use and only makes people believe they are using the DNS they specified.

Comment

I *think* it needs to be present because some setups may need it. Internal/enterprise networks, with internal DNS servers, perhaps?

Comment

Well, here's a workaround. Simply make another Wi-Fi connection just for the VPN.

After the usual VPN setup is done.

Add new connection - Wi-Fi

Connection name: VPN, or something else apropriate.

General configuration tab:
              Check "Automatically connect to VPN when using this connection" and select the VPN in the dropdown.

Wi-Fi tab:
              SSID: Select the one you normally use.

Wi-Fi Security tab:
              Insert the credentials for the network (SSID) chosen on the Wi-Fi tab.

IPv4 tab:
              Method: Automatic (Only addresses)
              DNS Servers: Type in the ones you wanted to use for the VPN connection.

Apply.

Now, every time you use this connection it will also start the VPN, and because the DNS is specified in the Wi-Fi connection instead of the VPN, the correct (specified) DNS will be used.
              Last edited by zaqs1; Nov 14, 2018, 01:52 PM.

Comment

zaqs1, thanks for the instructions, this works well!

Comment

Working...
                X