This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] No Network Connections After Install of Ubutnu Server 18.04LTS

This is a brand new installation to my rack-mounted NAS. Mobo is a Supermicro X9SCM-F. This mobo has 3 LAN ports: IPMI, 1, and 2. After bootup (without errors), IPMI and LAN 1 are both active, but not accessible as ifconfig reports only the lo interface for loopback. I checked the BIOS and enabled all LAN ports prior to boot-up. Please advise.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Okay, this is solved, but one question remains. Why would any *Ubuntu OS install without any LAN ports activated by default? Every version of Kubuntu has all LAN ports active by default. I seem to remember that Ubuntu Server 14.04LTS also had all LAN ports active by default. US 18.04 does not and I don't understand why that is.

I had to add the LAN ports to my netplan.conf file. Once I did and applied the netplan file, I had my LAN ports back. I'll mark this one solved, but if anyone knows why US 18.04 installed without LAN ports, I'd like to know. BTW, dmesg even has lines where eth0 and eth1 were renamed. Very curious.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Working...
    X