X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Unable to connect into wifi

Hi everyone

My wireless internet was working well, but today I can't connect anymore. The wireless network seems to be fine once my cell phone is able to use it.

Some useful info:

Code:
    sudo lshw -class network
     *-network                 
          description: Wireless interface
          product: AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter
          vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
          physical id: 0
          bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
          logical name: wlp2s0
          version: 01
          serial: 5c:c9:d3:45:10:53
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical wireless
          configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=4.15.0-15-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
          resources: irq:17 memory:f7d00000-f7d7ffff memory:f7d80000-f7d8ffff
     *-network
          description: Ethernet interface
          product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
          vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
          physical id: 0.2
          bus info: pci@0000:03:00.2
          logical name: enp3s0f2
          version: 0a
          serial: 10:c3:7b:c2:1d:f8
          size: 100Mbit/s
          capacity: 1Gbit/s
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
          configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full firmware=rtl8411-1_0.0.3 06/18/12 ip=172.30.0.213 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=100Mbit/s
          resources: irq:29 ioport:e000(size=256) memory:f0004000-f0004fff memory:f0000000-f0003fff
    I also used the journalctl -fu NetworkManager while I tried to connect:

Code:
    jun 25 16:08:50 viniciusbr NetworkManager[971]: <info>  [1529953730.1322] dhcp4 (wlp2s0): canceled DHCP transaction
    jun 25 16:08:50 viniciusbr NetworkManager[971]: <info>  [1529953730.1322] dhcp4 (wlp2s0): state changed fail -> done
    jun 25 16:08:50 viniciusbr NetworkManager[971]: <info>  [1529953730.1325] device (wlp2s0): state change: ip-config -> failed (reason 'ip-config-unavailable', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
    jun 25 16:08:50 viniciusbr NetworkManager[971]: <info>  [1529953730.1327] manager: NetworkManager state is now DISCONNECTED
    jun 25 16:08:50 viniciusbr NetworkManager[971]: <warn>  [1529953730.1331] device (wlp2s0): [B]Activation: failed for connection 'DIPUCLUCUS'[/B]
    jun 25 16:08:50 viniciusbr NetworkManager[971]: <info>  [1529953730.1335] device (wlp2s0): [B]state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')[/B]
    jun 25 16:08:50 viniciusbr NetworkManager[971]: <warn>  [1529953730.1561] sup-iface[0x560618d57210,wlp2s0]: [B]connection disconnected (reason -3)[/B]
    jun 25 16:08:50 viniciusbr NetworkManager[971]: <info>  [1529953730.1564] device (wlp2s0): supplicant interface state: completed -> disconnected
    Many thanks

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=146261

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=235436

Curious, what does rfkill show?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi:

Code:
      viniciusbr@viniciusbr:~$ rfkill
      ID TYPE      DEVICE      SOFT      HARD
      0 bluetooth hci0   unblocked unblocked
      1 wlan      phy0   unblocked unblocked
      I changed to ipv6 to "link local" as suggested. The wireless connects now but still doesn't working.

One of the posts suggest the installation of dhclient, but I didn't find it in this package.

But when I tried to open synaptic I found these errors (I don't know if it's related):

/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc is not writable

/.config/baloorunerrc is not writable

Comment

Check ownership and permissions of knotifyrc and baloorunerrc. More than likely they AND other files in your home account have had either their permission or ownership changed.

One thing you could try is to rename /.kde to /.kde_old and log out, then log back in. You will lose your KDE settings but you can reconfigure them.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Check ownership and permissions of knotifyrc and baloorunerrc. More than likely they AND other files in your home account have had either their permission or ownership changed.

One thing you could try is to rename /.kde to /.kde_old and log out, then log back in. You will lose your KDE settings but you can reconfigure them.
          Hi,

I did it but the KDE look the same. Nothing changed. After these errors with knotifyrc and baloorunerrc I bunch of similar errors also appeared. So, I rebooted my computer and there was an error with (intramfs). I needed to run fsck on /dev/sda2... what is that?

I don't know if these errors are related but I didn't nothing wrong in therms of configuration or package these days.

Comment

The problem was kdewallet or something. I excluded the wifi connection and added it again and worked.

Comment

initrmfs is an abbreviation for "initial ram filing-system".
              https://wiki.debian.org/initramfs

KDE Wallet won't affect the permissions or ownership of files in your home account. If active, it stores your passwords and feeds them to programs that request them. I disable KDE wallet. https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_Wallet_Manager

/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc is not writable
              /.config/baloorunerrc is not writable

After these errors with knotifyrc and baloorunerrc a bunch of similar errors also appeared.
              I am still suspicious that some of your home account hidden files have had their permission and/or ownership changed.

Comment

As an aside, I installed Kubuntu 18.04 + Btrfs on this Acer V3-771G laptop, upgraded, and the wifi (AR9462) works great. So does an eth cable connection.

I installed Kubuntu 18.04 on my grandson's Toshiba L-55 Skullcandy laptop using EXT4, and upgraded. The wifi connected for two days, then quit, giving "Setting up network address". I plugged in an eth cable iand the connection wasn't even seen. I have an Eth-->USB dongle and after I plugged it in it was recognized immediately, otherwise I would have been stuck with a sneaker network. I reinstalled Kubuntu 18.04 using Btrfs as the root filesystem. Neither the onboard cable nor the wifi worked. Rfkill sees the wifi but not the eth.

One "fix" involved going into KWallet and disconnecting the wifi entry in the network mapping, and then re-entering it. I tried that and also disabled KWallet, forcing manual entry of the password each time I attempted to connect to the wifi, but no joy.

Some blame a bug carrying over from 17.04 & 10
                https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1681513

Another bug involves the NM randomizing the wifi MAC address. The fix for it is here:
                https://blogs.gnome.org/thaller/2016...manager-1-4-0/
                I tried it but it didn't help me, although it helped others.

An old fix for previous NetworkManager problems was given in
                https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=234827
                which involved installing wicd and dhclient. Dhclient is not in the repository. Not a route I want to take.

So, until all the fixes come down the pipe my grandson's computer will get its Internet through their fiber optic cable.

Comment

I found a simple solution. Apparently one of the upgrades set the "Ask for Pin on Modem detection" check box on the "Network Settings" GUI.
                  Click the RIght Mouse button on the NetworkManager Icon in the system tray. Chose the "Network Settings" option. On that GUI if the "Ask for Pin on modem detection" checkbox is checked then uncheck it.
                  Not only did that bring back the ability to connect with the wifi, it restored the detection and connection of the Eth0 cable.
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 31, 2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X