This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kubuntu 18.04 Static IP

I've just upgraded from Kubuntu 17.10 to 18.04/Plasma 5.12.5 desktop, and I'm unable to successfully configure static IP and DNS name resolution for my Intel Gbe wired adapter. I've tried many things without success, but I want to start with some basic questions

-Does Kubuntu use /etc/network/interfaces, NetworkManager or systemd-networkd (and YAML files) for network configuration?

- Does the Plasma System Settings/Edit Network Connections/Connections GUI panel work correctly to configure a static connection using whichever of the three network configuration methods above?

Pending the answers to the above, can someone describe and/or point me to a link as to how to configure a wired static connection for my system?

(My subsequent goal is to move to Plasma 5.13. Can this be done as an upgrade from the repositories; ie. without a reinstall from the Neon isos? And does this change the static IP configuration method per answers to my questions above)?

Thx, Gus

A little more info please: model number of your GbE, the driver you are using (e1000e ?), your kernel version, etc.
    An lshw listing would help.

According to this[ site the 3.x kernel series supports it. That's old. Ubuntu (hence Kubuntu & Neon) left the 3.x series with 15.10.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/5171...kernel-version

IF you got it running in 17.10, have you tried down grading to that kernel in that release?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

18.04 static ip

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      A little more info please: model number of your GbE, the driver you are using (e1000e ?), your kernel version, etc.

I canÂ’t do lshw now, because IÂ’m away from the machine. ItÂ’s an Asus Z-87 mobo with Intel Z87 Express chipset, with an Intel I219-V Gbe
      Adapter. The e1000e driver is correct for that adapter, is included in both the 17.10 and 18.04 distros, and the module is loaded. All that said, my problem is with static/DNS, not the adapter itself, as I can successfully ping sites by numeric IP address but not by name.

According to this[ site the 3.x kernel series supports it. That's old. Ubuntu (hence Kubuntu & Neon) left the 3.x series with 15.10.

IF you got it running in 17.10, have you tried down grading to that kernel in that release?
      I tried that and it didnÂ’t help. The last kernel I used on 17.10 was 4.14.15-041415-generic and the newly installed kernel on 18.04 is 4.15.0-23-generic, and in each case /lib/modules provides an e1000e module, which is loaded at boot.

My memory may be faulty but I think I had this same problem on 17.10, and found a hack to get around it by using /etc/network/interfaces, the “old” method that preceded NetworkManager, which I think is in turn succeeded by systemd-networkd. But there’s precious little documentation on all this for recent versions of Kubuntu, and how Plasma System Settings and other GUI facilities interact with whatever underlying facilities currently configure networking in Ubuntu/kubuntu. That’s the reason for my question on kubuntu 18.104 facilities in my original post.

Comment

It uses network manager.
        I take it that configuring the interface from the System Tray applet is not working, or any changes there are not "sticking"?
        Last edited by claydoh; Jun 21, 2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

18.04 static ip

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

I canÂ’t do lshw now, because IÂ’m away from the machine. ItÂ’s an Asus Z-87 mobo with Intel Z87 Express chipset, with an Intel I219-V Gbe
          Adapter. The e1000e driver is correct for that adapter, is included in both the 17.10 and 18.04 distros, and the module is loaded. All that said, my problem is with static/DNS, not the adapter itself, as I can successfully ping sites by numeric IP address but not by name.

I tried that and it didnÂ’t help. The last kernel I used on 17.10 was 4.14.15-041415-generic and the newly installed kernel on 18.04 is 4.15.0-23-generic, and in each case /lib/modules provides an e1000e module, which is loaded at boot.

My memory may be faulty but I think I had this same problem on 17.10, and found a hack to get around it by using /etc/network/interfaces, the “old” method that preceded NetworkManager, which I think is in turn succeeded by systemd-networkd. But there’s precious little documentation on all this for recent versions of Kubuntu, and how Plasma System Settings and other GUI facilities interact with whatever underlying facilities currently configure networking in Ubuntu/kubuntu. That’s the reason for my question on kubuntu 18.104 facilities in my original post.

Comment

In 18.04 I don’t have a system tray applet for wired internet. But, I can get to “Connections” in System Settings,which looks the same, or is it If not, how do I install the System Tray applet? And ... true of false - I think I remember seeing posts that you can’t configure a wired adapter for Static IP in the System Tray applet The underlying Ubuntu OS does seem to have support for both systemd-networked and NetworkManager, so if Kubuntu 18.04 still uses NetworkManager, how do make sure that the wired adapter is managed by NetworkManager not networked? (In my thrashing around I also tried to configure this using net plan/YAML file).

Comment

The tray applet is for all connections. I have set a static ip address on my Kubuntu system:

Click the icon on the right, as shown near the cursor below
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180621_162546.png
Views:	1
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	643895

Click the Plus button if you do not already have a wired connection listed:

Name:	Screenshot_20180621_163649.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	643898

Select the connection type:

Name:	Screenshot_20180621_162632.jpg
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	643896

Go to the ipv4 tab and edit as needed.

Name:	Screenshot_20180621_162701.jpg
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	643897

fwiw, this has pretty much the way it has always been to configure connections

Comment

Originally posted by gusz View Post

(My subsequent goal is to move to Plasma 5.13. Can this be done as an upgrade from the repositories; ie. without a reinstall from the Neon isos? And does this change the static IP configuration method per answers to my questions above)?

Thx, Gus
                Plasma 5.13.x will become available via a PPA once Ubuntu finishes a needed upgrade to the Qt libraries it requires . No ETA as of yet. Once available, it will be just like any normal package update you see, once you have added the PPA repo. None of your settings will be affected.

Comment

I assume that you want the static IP on your LAN side and not the Internet side, because an ISP will have to issue you an Internet facing static IP address. My ISP charges me $5/mo extra for my static IP.

On my side of the router I have DD-WRT as my router firmware and I edit its config to look at my MAC address and issue it my 192.168.11.100 IP address. I do that so that I can have a fixed endpoint for my Hurricane IPv6 tunnel.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I finally solved the problem, and my static IP adapter is happily doing name resolution properly. It turns out it wasn't a Plasma problem, so posting in the plasma forum was a bit misleading. I do appreciate learning about the icon in the Plasma tray applet to configure both wired and wireless adapters, which I had missed. I'm now anxiously awaiting the Plasma 5.13 update as described above.

It turns out I had an incorrect symlink for /etc/resolv.conf, which was corrected by linking /etc/resolv.conf -> /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf. There's information the problem at https://askubuntu.com/questions/5488...-must-be-a-sym. My system has been upgraded successively through several Kubuntu versions and it's possible the incorrect symlink is an artifact of one of those upgrades, and/or that the 18.04 upgrade should include a check/fix to make sure the symlink is correct. Or it's possible that in my own plowing around trying to fix the problem I created the incorrect symlink myself.

In any case I wanted to post this in case others might encounter the problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X