X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old video-card emergency use

Hello Everyone,

My video card has packed it in my system, it does not work, the POST beeps identified the problem. I did order a replacement on eBay.
    In the mean time I did find an old video card that plugs into my system and would like to use it temporarily to access my system.

The old video-card is a Trident Video Accelerator 9440.

This is the system I have:

Desktop system, about 10 years old.
    WXP SP3, dual boot system
    1TB HD, split evenly between Linux and WXP
    8Gb RAM
    AMD Athlon 64X2 dual core CPU 6400+
    Kubuntu 18.04
    KDE Plasma V. 5.12.9,
    Nvidia G84 graphics card <- now dead and removed

The old video-card works in the WXP system, but does not work under "normal" Linux, but works in the recovery, or text only mode.
    It looks like that Linux has a driver for Trident cards: https://linux.die.net/man/4/trident
    How do I go about installing that driver in the recovery mode?

I am also looking into building a new system...

Thanks for the help.
    Regards, Peter

Good luck with that. I saw that Arch has a driver file, and there was also something on github, but it also seems that these drivers may have significant limitations. And since your CPU does not have integrated graphics, you may be out of luck until your replacement comes in.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thanks for the advice!
      I think I will stick to the text or terminal mode for the time being.
      In the mean time I will tough it out on a slightly faster W10 laptop :-(

I will probably have more questions when the replacement video card comes in.

Regards, Peter

Comment

You'll enjoy a more modern video card, and you should be able to connect a proper driver much more easily.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
        X