This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux Kernel 5.9 and Nvidia cards.

I just heard that there might be some problems with Linux Kernel 5.9 and Nvidia cards.
    I have a Nvidia GTX 760 and I had some updates for it just recently (within the last week or two) and I'm not sure if these updates fix the problems with Linux Kernel 5.9 or not.
    I mean is Linux Kernel 5.9 even coming to Ubuntu/Kubuntu 18.04 or not? I heard that Nvidia will have working closed source drivers for Kernel 5.9 by mid November and they said anyone updating their system should hold off on Linux Kernel 5.9 until mid November.
    Do any of you think I have anything to concerned about here?

5.9? Not anytime overly soon. 18.04 will (iirc) get 20.10's 5.8 kernel at some point, probably in February 2021, if the usual HWE schedule is the same - every 6 months along with the LTS point releases. So by the time a 5.9 kernel gets to 18.04, or any Ubuntu release for that matter, they should have had it sorted out for quite some time.

Comment

5.8 is already in teh repos:

Code:
      [FONT=monospace]apt show linux-generic-hwe-20.04-edge  
      Package: linux-generic-hwe-20.04-edge
      Version: 5.8.0.23.24~20.04.12
      Priority: optional
      Section: kernel
      Source: linux-meta-hwe-5.8
      Origin: Ubuntu
      Maintainer: Ubuntu Kernel Team <kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com>
      Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
      Installed-Size: 18.4 kB
      Provides: kernel-testing--linux-hwe-5.8--full--generic, kernel-testing--linux-hwe-5.8--full--preferred
      Depends: linux-image-generic-hwe-20.04-edge (= 5.8.0.23.24~20.04.12), linux-headers-generic-hwe-20.04-edge (= 5.8.0.23.24~20.04.12)
      Download-Size: 1,936 B
      APT-Manual-Installed: yes
      APT-Sources: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 Packages
      Description: Complete Generic Linux kernel and headers

[/FONT]

Comment

ya, that is the sooper-seekrit hwe-edge track, not the normal hwe track 99.99% of users are using, and has to be added manually.
        as far as I can tell, there is no corresponding xorg stack to match (at least on 20.04), as there normally would be with hwe stuff. Not sure if that matters or not

There won't be a 5.9 or later kernel in any hwe track until 21.04's been released, approximately, so the NVIDIA issue here is still going to be moot.

Comment

I've manually installed the 5.9 kernel from Ubuntu's Mainline Kernels.

The latest Nvidia video driver works fine via dkms. The reported problems are only with Cuda & OpenCL compute stuff.

Comment

@ claydoh Quote: ya, that is the sooper-seekrit hwe-edge track, not the normal hwe track 99.99% of users are using, and has to be added manually.
            as far as I can tell, there is no corresponding xorg stack to match (at least on 20.04), as there normally would be with hwe stuff. Not sure if that matters or not

There won't be a 5.9 or later kernel in any hwe track until 21.04's been released, approximately, so the NVIDIA issue here is still going to be moot.

That's good to know.

@ WonkoTheSaneUK

Oh OK so it only effects certain Nvida GPUs that's good to know.

Comment

This may be a little late but thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X