Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I test my hard drive with a GUI app?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I test my hard drive with a GUI app?

I have hard drive that's about seven years old and just today I noticed some lag in the Dolphin file manager and I know that can be a sign that your HDD is going bad. But I would like to test my HDD with a GUI app because I'm not all that skilled with the terminal. Can someone please help me out? Is there a GUI HDD testing app built into Kubuntu? Because I know that Ubuntu has one built in.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 12, 2020, 01:55 PM.

I use GSmartControl. Find it in Synaptic or Muon.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
      I use GSmartControl. Find it in Synaptic or Muon.
      Thanks I tried GSmartControl and it found nothing wrong with my HDD I checked general, attributes, statistics, self test, error log, temperature log and advanced and all them came up clean.

Comment

That's good. I'm quite sure there are other test tools available, I just haven't looked too hard. I keep a few drives in my parts drawer. If one of my PC drives takes a sudden nose dive, I can always make a quick setup with a spinner or a small SSD until I can get a good replacement. For a long time I have installed Kubuntu using two drives (OS, /home), and routinely backup my /home. I also keep a current download of Kubuntu on a USB thumb drive, so recovery of any kind is simple
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Once again thanks and good news is better than bad news.

Comment

Working...
          X