This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I disable gpu acceleration?

After installed AMD graphics drivers my video players stop playing videos. Now, I want to disable GPU graphics acceleration. How can I disabled it for the whole system?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 02, 2019, 10:10 AM.

Uninstall whatever you installed.

Without more info, I will assume you installed the AMDGPU-Pro driver, which is not useful in most cases over the official, open source driver. The Pro driver is actually based on the free driver.

This command will do it:
    Code:
    amdgpu-pro-uninstall
    Now, this won't disable video acceleration, but that is very likely not the reason why videos are not playing. The mis-configured PRO drivers probably are. Going back to the normal drivers should get video playback fixed, or at least get you back to where you started.

Comment

No, I did not installed the pro driver. If I uninstall these drivers the system hangs right before of the authentication screen. I tried it as well.

Comment

Then what did you install, specifically? The normal , official AMD linux driver is already included with the OS. You need to give us more info so we can help find out what needs to be done.

Comment

I have a laptop Acer with a Ryzen 3 CPU and a Radeon Vega 3 GPU. I ran ./amdgpu-pro-install and after rebooting the system the screen was real bright and when I tried to low the bright it told me there is no external display. I uninstalled the drivers and it got stuck right before the authentication screen, showing me nothing but the pointer. I entered to a terminal by Ctrl+Alt+F2 and installed ./amdgpu-install --opencl=legacy. It worked fine, but videos went away. Now if I uninstall these drivers the systems is stuck before the authentication screen.

Comment

Well, I found a solution myself, I just uninstalled the drivers... Then, in console mode, I performed an update and an upgrade... then I installed the amd-gpu-pro and I don't know how, or why, but this time it worked.

Comment

Working...
            X