X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu stops playing videos after install AMD drivers

Hi there, everybody!
    I have a laptop Acer with a Ryzen 3 CPU and a AMD Vega 3 GPU. The battery time was really short and I went into Google looking for a solution. I read in askubuntu that AMD graphics cards requires original drivers to avoid the battery drain. I downloaded the drivers and installed them, cristal clear, it was like a charm. I worked fine and the boot time was reduced. Everything was ok up to I wanted to play a video. Vlc opens and closes when loading the video. Kmplayer opens and closes as well. It is not a codecs issue. How can I solve this?

Hi
    You post an interesting question!

Here is something that happened to me just last night.

I had installed a certain chess player and there was a setting to “change resolution” ….well, stupid me I clicked it thinking that it would change the resolution OF THE PLAYER and NOOOOO…..

The system went BLACK AND LOCKED UP…..

okaaay……

so I manually restarted and the system came up at, I think….what…..340 by 640?

Fortunately I was able to mouse around in those horribly large and kludzy menus to get at screen resolution and reset it to max found APPLY about fifteen feet below and then restarted and everything was back to normal.

That may seem way off the subject but it MAY BE…...that you can rather simply fix this by putzing around in:

VLC / video / tools / preferences / inputs & codecs settings.

In codecs there is, first thing, “hardware-accelerated decoding.

In mine it is set on “disable”….but….

If you hit the down arrow you will see several other settings, ONE OF WHICH MAY be something about your hardware. I am running intel and so can’t help on what you may see.

There are some other controls, one of which is “video quality post-processing level” mine is at “6””

THE ABOVE IS IN THE SIMPLE settings.

Down at the bottom on the left is a button for “show settings / simple / all”

You can click “all” and there are a lot of other settings
    AND
    I DO NOT KNOW if any of them will show your card….however…

there is also a “only show current” box that one can tick which MIGHT show what hardware settings are enabled on your system.

IN MY SYSTEM there are some settings in “Qt” one of which is “full screen controller opacity between 0.1 and 1…..

It MIGHT BE….MIGHT BE….that the number there is set for “this” and VLC is trying to display “that” because of a setting "combination'... ...I do not know….

But it MAY BE that just shutting off, or enabling "hardware acceleration" might fix things. dunno...

BUT be warned that you may get a situation like I did with the chess program if you go FULL SCREEN….i would advise NOT working in full screen..

Anyway, I hope that this helps a little bit, and as usual, there will probably be someone more knowledgeable than the old woodsmoker by shortly to give you a one line answer! Lol

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Dec 01, 2019, 09:17 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Mr woodsmoke, I thank you for your response. I tried your recommendations and none of them works for me. I read that disabling graphics hardware acceleration might solve the issue. I did for the players (VLC and KMPlayer), but the thing is, I have no idea on how to disable hardware acceleration for the whole system. I also unistalled the drivers, but that case the system doesn't show me the login screen. Therefore I had to enter via console Ctrl + Alt + F2, and reinstalled them. Right now I am trying to avoid reinstalling the whole system, but I would like to watch some videos occasionally. I have been trying over and over the whole weekend, and this situation is becoming frustrating. Any other thought?

Comment

Working...
      X