This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VHS conversion to DVDs / Hardware Solution Needed

Hello. Some time ago a friend gave me an extra EasyCAP A/V to USB hardware device that he no longer needed. I have searched the web for a way to get it to work and I'm tired of dealing with it. I need a proven hardware solution to my VHS to DVD conversion needs. I'm willing to pay for a more robust interface (PCIe perhaps) and I would like some recommendations to that end please.

The resolution only needs to be 640x480 (standard DVD), and 2-channel audio. Any recommendations based on experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

In the past USB converters have earned a reputation for poor conversion quality and it highly recommended to use a good A/D converter. I am still using my ADS Pyro A/V Link analog to digital converter to digitize my analog home video from VHS and Hi-8 sources. The "Cadillac" of these converters were the ADVC-100/110/250 from Canopus/Grass Valley which you can sometimes pick up used. These units used to be priced in the $120 to $250 usd range but now with scarcity they list for at least $200 if you can snag one. Maybe eBay? Another way to digitise video is using a DV camcorder with a "passthrough" option. Not all units did this but many did.

What have you tried for capture so far? You can use the CLI dvgrab or the Video app named KINO. Use it just for the capture capability.

A great resource for all things regarding video capture and editing is The Digital FAQ.

HTH, -=Ken=-
    -=Ken=-
    "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
    DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Hi Kenj70
      Thank you for this EXCELLENT precis' of converting VHS to digitial whatever.

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER

I still have the device, it was a small white box and it DID do the conversions, that was back in my Windblows days... but it is buried in one of many "bankers boxes" of hardware and this is 12:46 A.M. so, if you pop back in and inquire I will dig through the boxes and provide salient information.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
      X