Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Qustion about visible drives ...

In Windows 10 I cannot see the drive with Kubuntu on it. However in Kubuntu I can see the Windows 10 drives.
    Is there a way to make them not visible in Kubuntu?

I do not have a dual-boot system.

Originally posted by dagmann View Post
    In Windows 10 I cannot see the drive with Kubuntu on it.
    You'd have to add drivers to Windows for the the file system, or file systems, that Kubuntu uses. (MS could easily have done this a long time ago.)
    However in Kubuntu I can see the Windows 10 drives.
    I do not have a dual-boot system.
    I don't understand those two together, but whatever...

Is there a way to make them not visible in Kubuntu?
    Maybe system settings->hardware, removable storage, removable devices, under attached devices? (Those category names seem contradictory to me.)
    That won't stop them being mountable by clicking on them, though.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I didn't create a dual-boot system because of potential problems since I am not familiar with Linux.
      So I just installed Kubuntu onto an extra ssd.
      I then use Grub2Win to choose which O/S to use when the computer boots up. Works great.
      WIndows cannot see Linux but Linux can see Windows.
      I don't like Linux showing the Window drives, I would like to hide them.

Comment

I didn't create a dual-boot system because of potential problems since I am not familiar with Linux.
        So I just installed Kubuntu onto an extra ssd.
        I then use Grub2Win to choose which O/S to use when the computer boots up. Works great.
        WIndows cannot see Linux but Linux can see Windows.
        I don't like Linux showing the Window drives, I would like to hide them.
        that IS a dual-boot system , if you do not want dolphin to show them (the windows drives/partitions on the windows HD) just rite click the drives/partitions (one at a time) and click "hide" , I am assuming you are seeing them in dolphins places panel ,if not where are you seeing them.

however you will always be able to find them (I say them because I am sure their are at least 3 partitions on that drive) with a partitioning tool and then mount them with this information .

is their some reason to hide them , like other people using your computer ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I thought that dual-boot was when having more that one o/s on the same drive.

It's not a matter of hiding drives, it's a matter of not having any damage done to them data wise.

Comment

Well, I have six OSs on three drives - on the same machine. :·)

Still, it may not be a matter of hiding drives, but if it's a matter of not having any damage done to them data wise, hiding them in Dolphin - like Vinny says - should be good enough.
            Right-clicking on them - in Dolphin, under Devices, left panel - should give you the option.

Comment

Dolphin did it! Thanks all!

Comment

I thought that dual-boot was when having more that one o/s on the same drive.

It's not a matter of hiding drives, it's a matter of not having any damage done to them data wise.
                linux wont damage the windows drives just by accessing them you can look at and copy out files without problems .

and the system will refuse to mount/access them if they were locked/hibernated by windows , usually caused by enabling "fast boot" in windows .

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                X