Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used Kubuntu on Raspberry Pi?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Has anyone used Kubuntu on Raspberry Pi?

Out of curiosity, how well does it perform?

I currently have Ubuntu Server installed on my Pi 3B+, and I'm thinking of putting Kubuntu on it.

I wouldn't. Only because I did run Kubuntu on an arm device though that was in 2012. Low spec systems used to by my thing, of sorts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIrGVzAu7y8
    I doubt tumbleweed is any more 'hungry' than Ubuntu, and you can do a minimal Plasma install (plasma-desktop, or maybe kubuntu-desktop) and avoiding the standard kubuntu-full.
    Also, ubuntu server does run some services or processes not used on a desktop install, so there is another place that could be investigated to reduce resource gobbling.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Also, ubuntu server does run some services or processes not used on a desktop install, so there is another place that could be investigated to reduce resource gobbling.
      This kinda goes in with the above.

Servers tend to put priorities on processes that desktop OSs don't prioritize at the same level and vice versa. I don't know if you were using the server install because you needed a server platform or if you were doing that to not have the same bloated experience as a full desktop. If it's the latter, some of that experience could be muttled because of where that server platform is putting it's priorities. Just in my experience.

I have a couple of NAS devices that use a server platform with web interface, about the closest thing with a desktop on it would be an Intel NUC that my son has that is running KDE Neon. But it's still x86 and not ARM, just a low powered version of x86.
      Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

The Raspberry Pi Forums have some experiences with the Debian ancestry line, including this one about Ubuntu Mate 16.04.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

No but i have run Arch with plasma desktop quite nicely on a rpi3.
          I didn't mention it in the video but in a demo i did of my Pi3 Printing to two 3d Printers. An entire plasma session is running and parts of it can been seen during the video.
          Last edited by sithlord48; Jul 30, 2019, 08:06 PM.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
          X