Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GT215 GeForce GT 240 Performance tweaks?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nasty7 View Post
    I was using gedit I think, but could not install it to Mint's KDE so just abandoned editing files unless absolutely necessary. In ending, I need to know how to use nano! help help help lol.
    That is odd, unless something was terribly wrong as Mint KDE was literally Kubuntu LTS plus a theme and a different menu, and some other tweaks.

For nano usage just remember ctrl-o to save and ctrl-x to exit. If you skip the saving part it will prompt you.

A tip for typing in paths if you don't use copy and paste us tab completion. Start typing a path, then hit tab to finish parts of it as you go.

Say you want to edit /etc/default/foo

Type
    'sudo nano /e' then your tab key.
    If there is more than one folder or file beginning with that letter hit tab twice to see them, else type another letter or two then hit tab again. Do the same for the next part, and so on.

Also works with commands

sud <tab> ap <tab> upd <tab>
    sud <tab> ap <tab> f <tab>

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      That is odd, unless something was terribly wrong as Mint KDE was literally Kubuntu LTS plus a theme and a different menu, and some other tweaks.
      Yes, I tried it and could not get any help making it work/Install.

For nano usage just remember ctrl-o to save and ctrl-x to exit. If you skip the saving part it will prompt you.
      I'd forgot about that, thanks!

A tip for typing in paths if you don't use copy and paste us tab completion. Start typing a path, then hit tab to finish parts of it as you go.
      Got it, yes, I remember another member teaching me this on another forum. He is on this forum too I believe but not active.
      Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

Comment

Maybe you guys could shed some light on this. I was having issues booting and was in AHCI Mode during Install, but was getting this funky Screen after the Splash Screen and could not figure out why. This is an old funky HP Vista Tower with no driver support from HP nor BIOS Update, but has some other desirable attributes for it's time:
        HP Pavilion Media Center m8150n Desktop

I just switched over to RAID Mode after reading up on the whole lot of IDE, AHCI and RAID. And seeing that RAID was Default for the BIOS on this machine switched to it. I always thought AHCI was the way to go, but upon more research and logic decided to try RAID, but didn't really want to reinstall so just set as RAID and was surprised to see it boot fine! Now it boots better without the funky screen text screen, but was wondering if this is a good practice or not: switching from AHCI to RAID AFTER INSTALLING? I no longer have the funky screen during boot.

Should I reinstall? I wonder if I would have better boot performance if I reinstalled under RAID Option or if it doesn't matter? Boot time is right at about 2min. I'll time it with the built in tool, if anyone knows what it is please enlighten me as I'll need to look it up.

Comment

If it works, leave it alone

raid is a murky thing to me, as it is mainly used for "Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks", but my nearly new Lenovo laptop has a raid setup by default that does not allow a second drive to be seen in the bios unless it is disabled.

I switched to ahci and the lonely Windows drive gathering dust in it had zero issue, I think. I don't remember having to do anything special.

You of course will likely not gain any performance from either setting, I would think that raid would be slightly less performant, but that would assume multiple drives.
          You are not going to gain any real world performance on that system without doing the basics of extra ram , and using SSDs, which will give you the most visible boost.

from my own experience on dual core machines you have already done some of the very few things you can do:
          the triple buffer option for Nvidia.

The other is seeing if you are using swap too early - common, and slows down hard disks from a little to a lot from even general web browsing, etc.
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sw...I_change_it.3F
          I have had to do this on all of my old machines, and a few of my less old ones over the years.

If you have a full install of Kubuntu, ditch Kontact and Akonadi, and consider disabling file indexing.

Other than adding an SSD and ram, there is little else you can do, imo, though trying things out can be fun

I have an HP business desktop of the same vintage as yours, interestingly the core2duo I have in it is considered an upgrade over the core2 quad . I used to use it as a media center running Kodi, and for playing Half Life 2 with ok performance on a gt 610 gpu. I replaced that with of all things a 60 dollar Android TV box with a itty bitty arm chip that outperformed the core2duo and Nvidia card quite handily for TV and movie playback at higher resolutions. I still have that HP for some reason.

Comment

I mean to post a pic of the text that I was seeing during RAID Boot...whoops. Another thing was, I think I set as RAID for the install but did not completely shut down the machine. I just hit F10 and chose to save and exit, but then chose the Boot Order right away at the next Splash. I just read that it is best to fully shut down for a few seconds first after choosing AHCI or RAID. I have seen the machine using swap, looks normal but as you said it's better to use RAM.

I'll make the changes you mentioned as they are some that I've performed in past years. Maybe even sacrifice some of my spare RAM for it. Then if I have time maybe to a Reinstall. I would like to reinstall in AHCI again just to see if it will work better, but that's lot's of work. For some reason i think this machine wants to be in RAID...WEIRD! I don't mind doing the work again as it will give me a little practice, but don't want to do Two more installs really.

Here is a pic of what I was seeing in AHCI Mode, which if what I set it as for the initial Install. I cannot believe that RAID Fixed it. I cannot Upload a JPEG from my computer?

Comment

I was playing Chromium BSU and now Resolution is all messed up. I seem to remember this happening years ago but don't remember how to fix it now?

Thanks, Nasty7

Comment

After scouring the web I just went to Settings and changed the Resolution and it seems to be working fine.

Comment

I have to say, I love the My Posts and My Threads Buttons at top of the page!!! Kudos to the designer, someone whom was actually thinking when creating this Forum Platform.

Comment

That 'feature' is from a vBulletin MOD that was installed quite some time back. It is a highly useful feature to be sure.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                    X