This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless lights constantly flashing.

I recently installed a fresh 18.04.2 and have noticed that my wireless light flashes constantly, as though I am downloading the entire Library of Congress 24 hours a day. However when I check to see what the activity is by looking at the Networks icon in the systray, it behaves as it should, nothing odd at all.
    I was previously on 14.04 and the light would flash quite rarely when everything was at rest. Does anyone know why it would suddenly have this constant urgent flashing as though downloads were happening?
    I should also mention that my wireless is actually an enGenius Dongle, and it is the same one I was using in 14.04.

Two other questions,
    Why does it not show the security type?
    And is the Channel no longer displayed in the widget?
    Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

As far as I have ever seen over the years, all my wifi 'lights' have flashed when there is even minor activity (other than the ones that didn't have an led for it). I think that, depending on the device and driver, that this may be either may have lacked support for flashing properly, or there is a parameter for it that may have had the default action changed. ie - shine for connection status or flash for activity, as can be set in some intel wifi cards

As far as the info in the widget I still see some extra info on my laptop, not sure if the channel showing or not is a driver thing or a widget thing, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	network1.png
Views:	1
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	644151
    Last edited by claydoh; Mar 27, 2019, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Mine flashes constantly, also, and the app doesn't show high levels of activity. I suspect it's polling, but I don't worry about it.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

@claydoh Losing the Channel info is not so bad but I thought it was interesting that Channel and my Security type were both different. Sadly it appears that I can't change the behavior of the light. Lots of new surprises with 18.04.

@jglen490 It's not that I mind it polling so much as the previous behavior would be normal, flash, flash, rest... and repeat until I did something. Now it's literally flashing on high urgency all of the time, never rests ever while on.
        Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

Comment

Working...
        X