This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Auto Playing CD ?

What I want to happen is when I put a CD in the CD/DVD burner/player, it just starts playing it and I can listen to it on my headphones.

The way it works now is I have to have some program open the files on the CD and play them or save them.
    Sometimes I just want to listen to the CD.

Where this came from...

I have this movie soundtrack CD (The Fountain) and when I try to rip it to my computer for later playback (I have all my music ripped on to a HD on a sound computer and I just have it play the tunes) I am getting a lot of distortion during some passages. Either it's a crappy recording or the recording is over driving the preamp(s) in the computer and creating distortion.

I want to be able to watch the waveform coming off the CD using Audacity and see if it's permanent built-in distortion in the recording or if it's something I can correct during the rip (desirable).

So is it possible to insert the CD and just have it start playing?
    Greg
    W9WD

YES.

(But your post is slightly confusing, regarding what you are really looking for ...)

If you rip a track, or all the tracks, from the CD to a hard disk drive, and choose .wav as the file format to save, then you will be able to use audacity to examine, play, and/or edit each file. Doing this, you can answer the question of whether the original recording on the CD is defective in any way. Audacity will let you change the audio level of the entire file if it is too high for your sound system

As for automatically playing the CD upon insertion, since there are a gazillion music players for linux, you will need to set the "association" of music file format to player. Start here.

Comment

What I'm worried about is recording an over driven track. If I can get in ahead of the recorder I can potentially lower the input volume to where it does not over drive.
      IF that's the problem.
      If it's just a crappy distorted recording, nothing is going to save it.

I'm starting to believe it's just a bad recording.
      They should have driven over it a time or two with a compressor before they recorded it.
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
        ... If I can get in ahead of the recorder I can potentially lower the input volume ...
        Well, it's already been recorded (for the CD), but with audacity, you can "get in ahead of re-saving the file", with lowered audio level. It's a standard menu item in audacity.

Comment

Working...
        X