Clear All

Problems with new build - gaming system

My previous computer died, so I did a huge upgrade:
    Asus Strix B450-F motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 2600x processor
    MSI RX580 Armor MK2 gaming card
    M.2 drive as boot
    SATA 2TB drive for home/storage

I built it last Friday, and have yet to be able to use it.

I originally planned a dual boot with W10 as I do beta testing and pre-released games.

When I installed W10, then installed Kubuntu 18.04, I lost W10 (GParted even shows drive empty, even though I knew where it was installed). Since the motherboard is UEFI, during the install process I created a bootable partition (I think this is where Grub installs to?) and an EFI partition, tho not sure if they were installed correctly. The boot is extremely fast, and I do not see a GRUB boot screen to change boot options.

I installed UKUU to upgrade to the latest kernel, as I read that might be an issue.

In Kubuntu 18.04 I upgraded to the most recent video drivers (amdgpu-pro-18.40-697810-ubuntu-18.04) as per Radeon direction. I reboot, and the System Settings/Device Manager shows (it shows same before and after) "No Proprietary drivers needed". I started a game on Steam and received the error message: "AMD detected openGL version 3.1 mesa 18.1.0-rc4 required openGL version 3.3" (using an old version of base drivers??)

At this point I am lost - this should have been a simple build.

I am also having other issues (known good microphone buzzing in Windows, Windows not responding to new USB drives inserted) that may or may not have anything to do with Kubuntu issues. I have not had a chance to test the microphone in Kubuntu yet.

I am talking to Asus about hardware testing (motherboard), but their list of things to do is rather insane as it involves tearing apart the build and such - and reinstalling Windows like 4 times.

ETA:

Steam Error: OpenGL GLX context is not using direct rendering, which may cause performance problems. For more information visit https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...9938-EYZB-7457.

Steam system info shows (relevant info):Processor Information:
    CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
    CPU Brand: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor

Operating System Version:
    Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS (64 bit)
    Kernel Name: Linux
    Kernel Version: 4.19.9-041909-generic

Video Card:
    Driver: ATI Technologies Inc. Radeon RX 580 Series
    Driver Version: 1.4 (4.5.13540 Compatibility Profile Context)
    OpenGL Version: 1.4
    Memory:
    RAM: 16031 Mb
    Last edited by Jackie.Elle; Dec 13, 2018, 10:29 AM.

I suggest ditching the amdgpu-pro drivers, those are mainly for workstation use, and often has much poorer performance. The normal, amdgpu is the recommended gaming driver, despite what the website offers up front. The free driver is actually supported by AMD
    Also, a non-stock kernel will not have the kernel-specific opengl, mesa, vulkan stuff available, so video performance usually is lacking unless one can build everything from source. This mismatch is probably why you are seeing both those error messages, and you only have OpenGL 1.4 (it should show 4.5 or something like that)

The best gaming setups usually use stock kernels and drivers. If things are working reasonably well there, and they should be, you should then add the Padoka PPA for some updated Mesa Vulkan, and other bits. Some games, especially Vukan ones, benefit greatly:
    https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-...e/ubuntu/pkppa

No idea what happened to your Windows. Unless you did a custom manual install, it would have shrunk the drive to fit Kubuntu alongside Windows, and use the existing efi partition. A separate /boot is not necessary, but is not a bad thing in any way. grub itself resides on the partition boot record or the master boot record, not within the actual partition.

Perhaps you set it to install Kubuntu to the partition?

What does the output of 'sudo fdisk -l' look like?
    Last edited by claydoh; Dec 13, 2018, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Interesting thread!

woodlikesitsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
      X