X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA driver does not load? on new session

Hi all,

When I start a new session (from menu -> switch user), I get a black screen and moving mouse cursor on one of my 2 monitors, secondary monitor gets no signal.

I suspect the NVIDIA driver does not load. Problem does not occur on X-org driver, but the NVIDIA performs (much) better.

I tried a fresh install, but the problem persists.

Any help much appreciated!
    Joris

In the logs I find:

Xorg.1.log:

Code:
    LG Electronics E2211 (CRT-1)
    Idek Iiyama PLX2380H (DFP-0)
    DFP-1
    Display (LG Electronics E2211 (CRT-1)) does not support NVIDIA
    3D Vision stereo.
    Display (Idek Iiyama PLX2380H (DFP-0)) does not support NVIDIA
    3D Vision stereo.
    3D Vision stereo.
    3D Vision stereo.
    3D Vision stereo.
    3D Vision stereo.
    X0rg.0.log:

Code:
    122.225] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version 1.4: Permission denied
    [   122.225] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3 (/dev/input/event14)
    [   122.225] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
    [   122.225] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
    [   122.225] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=7 (/dev/input/event15)
    [   122.225] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
    [   122.225] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
    [   122.226] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=8 (/dev/input/event16)
    [   122.226] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
    [   122.226] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
    [   122.226] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=9 (/dev/input/event17)
    [   122.226] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
    [   122.226] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
    [   122.226] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Eee PC WMI hotkeys (/dev/input/event13)
    lspci:
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Controller
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family ME Interface #1
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #2
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev d0)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev d0)
    00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 8 (rev d0)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #1
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family H97 Controller
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SATA Controller [AHCI Mode]
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2)
    03:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GT216 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
    04:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR93xx Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

To be clear, the NVIDIA driver IS being loaded/works properly on an initial boot/log in with the user account that installed the OS, but once there, doesn't seem to work when you switch to another user? Is that correct?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

that is exactly what happens

Comment

As a test, assuming you haven't tried it, logout and reboot and log in using the 'other' user you created. Does the Desktop load as expected, or is the same issue being presented as in your initial post?

Comment

I tried that, the other user loads after boot.

If I try a second session from that other user, same problem.

It seems adding a second session causes the problem, regardless of the user (or admin status thereof)..

Comment

Okay. So let's find out what Groups you and the 'other' user belong to. This will take a logout/reboot to obtain the data.

Reboot and log in as yourself. Once the Desktop loads, open a konsole and type: groups

Note the results (write them down).

Now switch users. Yeah, you won't get a Desktop (issue presents). Switch to a TTY then run the command: groups

Reboot, but this time log in as the 'other' user. When the Desktop loads, open a konsole and type: groups

Report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post

Report back.
              Thanks for your help: Here's my report:

After boot, I logged in as user: baze (the admin accound that installed Kubuntu)

Opening konsole:
              Code:
              $ whoami
              baze
              $ groups
              baze adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare
              Then, pressing ctrl alt F2, I opened a new tty, logged in as secondary user: enkidu (the non admin account)

In tty:
              Code:
              $ groups
              enkidu
              I rebooted, logged (succesfully) into Plasma as user: enkidu, opened konsole:
              Code:
              $ groups
              enkidu

Comment

Then, pressing ctrl alt F2, I opened a new tty, logged in as secondary user: enkidu (the non admin account)
                So you aren't using Logout (from the Desktop) and then Log in with the 'other' user. I think there is a difference between what you are doing and what I just said. That said though, I tested logging out/logging in (with a test user account) on my 18.04 install, and doing so has the Desktop loading properly (but I don't have NVIDIA), and konsole groups command for the test user shows what you are getting; just the username.

Does this other user of yours not need Admin privileges? If, while logged in as your normal user and you edit the 'other' user and 'Enable administrative privileges for this user', and try again, does the Desktop load?

Comment

Thanks again for trying to help me out. Here's what I tried:

If I switch users by logging out and in, I have no problems. (same as you tested, didn't think of trying this before..)

The session hangs when I do not log out, but add a second session (Power/Session -> Switch user).
                  Then, when I add a new session, screens turn of and on, thereafter only one screen shows the (movable) mouse cursor on a black background, so even before I can try to log into that session as a user.

It is no blocking issue, as I can log out from (and suspend/quit) the first session, as you mentioned, and start a new one as the other user. If there would be a straight-forward fix so I can run 2 sessions simultaneously (as works using the X-org driver instead of NVIDIA), it would be even better, but don't waste your time on it ..

Comment

That said, and with the information we've gained, I think that a solution will be offered by those who use NVIDIA. So, as they say, 'stay tuned'.

Comment

what version of the driver are you using , and is it the one from the Ubuntu repo , the graphics drivers PPA or Nvidias website ?

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                      X