X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] SATA Data disk gets ejected

Hello!

Since the middle of the summer, my second drive has been ejected by Kubuntu so I can't read/write any larger files. I have an SSD with the OS and use an NTFS formatted HDD for data. Every 2-5 minutes, it disappears from Dolphin and reappears unmounted shortly after. I'm using a dual-boot system and Windows is not reporting any trouble with the disk. I've also run a SMART check with no errors. I believe something in one of the Kernel updates is unmounting the disk and causing havoc with my previously very stable install. I've re-installed a clean 18.04LTS today and the problem persists.

Thank you for your help,
    John

Does it have a mounting line in /etc/fstab ?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It did. I edited the line and eventually removed it with no change in behavior.

Comment

Is this disc, maybe, by chance, 'going to sleep'; going into power saving mode?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Possibility I didn't consider. It's a WD Blue, so it shouldn't be, especially because I'm constantly reading data from it. I couldn't find the setting in "Power Management" where I assumed it would be. Also doesn't happen on my Windows partition, so I wouldn't think it's the disc itself. Happens more frequently during write/copy functions It seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnius View Post
            ... I couldn't find the setting...
            You can set much more stuff on drives with the hdparm command. The man page is 700-odd lines long.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Code:
               sudo hdparm -S 0 /dev/sdb
              I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

8GB file transfer good. Been playing music off the drive for several hours. Thanks for the command line info, jlittle! Thanks for the responses, GreyGeek and Snowhog! Now to get that line back in /etc/fstab...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnius View Post
                  Code:
                   sudo hdparm -S 0 /dev/sdb
                  If you find that it loses this setting on reboot or wake from suspension there's ways to run a script to reapply the setting on restart. I have the opposite requirement; my disc drives sit unused most of the time, and cause my case to hum just at the limit of hearing. So I spin them down with hdparm -y. I got tired of typing that all the time, so I found out where to put a script run on wake up, it's /lib/systemd/system-sleep. I also have a copy of hdparm that I've used setcap to allow it to run without root, and a .desktop file to run a script that uses that copy, so spinning down is a click on my panel. I hated it that much. Just ask for the details if you'd like them.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

It looks like I can write to the disk fine, but as soon as I try copying from it, it drops from the system, errors out, cancelling the file transfer.

Comment

Still have this problem. Looking at a reversion to 14.04 as a possible solution, which seems absurd. I can't even read the folder structure before 18.04 dumps the disk, never to be seen again, which is worse than my original problem. I've checked the drive and cables, it's definitely an OS problem. I'd appreciate any leads. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X