Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Video Driver Post install stops TV from working.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD Video Driver Post install stops TV from working.

I'm running the following
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.04
    Dual Booted with windows 10. (Not Wubi)
    as for grub I am unsure I can't seem to find the version for this or KDE. If this helps I installed this yesterday and I have updated everything with apt update and upgrade.
    this is a Desktop I built my self.
    lscpu:
    Architecture: x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
    Byte Order: Little Endian
    CPU(s): 8
    On-line CPU(s) list: 0-7
    Thread(s) per core: 2
    Core(s) per socket: 4
    Socket(s): 1
    NUMA node(s): 1
    Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD
    CPU family: 21
    Model: 1
    Model name: AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor
    Stepping: 2
    CPU MHz: 2758.751
    BogoMIPS: 7223.95
    Virtualization: AMD-V
    L1d cache: 16K
    L1i cache: 64K
    L2 cache: 2048K
    L3 cache: 8192K
    NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-7
    Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 cx16 sse
    4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes xsave avx lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs xop skinit wdt fma4 nodeid_msr topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb cpb hw_pstate ssbd ibpb vmmcall arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flu
    shbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold

Graphics card is an AMD RX 480

Followed the instructions for Steam Proton to install the updated Graphics drivers

32Gig Ram
    2 Hard drives 1 OCZ 500 Gig SSD
    and a Western Digital Black Edition 3TB

1 Optical Driver LG Bluray

Here's what the problem is. After installing the drivers the 1080P TV no longer will display a picture. I see it listed in the display settings in the system settings. When I try to enable it I get the following error. "Sorry, your configuration could not be applied. Common reasons are that the overall screen size is too big, or you enabled more displays than supported by your GPU." I cannot change the resolution option because it doesn't have the option available. I have tried this with the Drivers at AMD's site and the ones suggested in Steam Proton's site. Both have the same issue. I also have 2 monitors hooked up and they both work fine.

Before the driver install all 3 work as intended. No issues on the windows side so I know its not a hardware issue. Currently the drivers that are installed are the ones suggested from the Proton Site. I've never run Linux from my main rig before however I want to help contribute to the Proton project as much as I can so I can be a full time Linux user. I've never posted before as I have always been able to self help. However after hours of Googleing and trying everything I know myself I'm at a loss as what else to try. Please forgive any info I didn't provide as I am new to the non-server versions of Linux.

Thank you in advance for all the assistance you provide.

DrClaw

What specific driver did you install, and from where? And how, too. (Links - we have no idea what they call for, or if it is even needed in Ubuntu 18.04) How did you remove one driver before installing the other?
    The driver included with *buntu is normally the best one. It is not like Nvidia at all, as AMD fully support the free, open driver in Linux, as evidenced by things working correctly

I think you can post links now that you have made your first post. I know that is annoying, for both of us.
    "hey, I have a problem, i did this thing that this website told me, but I'm not allowed to tell you where it is!"

Comment

Also, when updating, use
      Code:
      apt full-upgrade
      as this installs ALL updates and their dependencies, while using just 'upgrade' does not, so it is possible you have something was left behind

is this the website?
      https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Pro...3.7/PREREQS.md

This is probably the most current requirements, or rather recommendations, as only specific directx versions need an updated mesa driver (which is NOT the same thing as the AMD driver)

basically, you add the ppa as described, you don't need to update any Amdgpu driver, as this is included in the PPA you just added.

The problem may be, not knowing exactly what you installed, is that removing those things you installed might leave some stray files behind that can conflict wth the proper ones.
      This does depend on how things were installed, though, and I don't think this is a likely issue here, until we know more about what steps you have done so far

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Also, when updating, use
        What specific driver did you install, and from where? And how, too. (Links - we have no idea what they call for, or if it is even needed in Ubuntu 18.04) How did you remove one driver before installing the other?
        The driver included with *buntu is normally the best one. It is not like Nvidia at all, as AMD fully support the free, open driver in Linux, as evidenced by things working correctly

I think you can post links now that you have made your first post. I know that is annoying, for both of us.
        "hey, I have a problem, i did this thing that this website told me, but I'm not allowed to tell you where it is!"

Code:
        apt full-upgrade
        as this installs ALL updates and their dependencies, while using just 'upgrade' does not, so it is possible you have something was left behind

is this the website?
        https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Pro...3.7/PREREQS.md

This is probably the most current requirements, or rather recommendations, as only specific directx versions need an updated mesa driver (which is NOT the same thing as the AMD driver)

basically, you add the ppa as described, you don't need to update any Amdgpu driver, as this is included in the PPA you just added.

The problem may be, not knowing exactly what you installed, is that removing those things you installed might leave some stray files behind that can conflict wth the proper ones.
        This does depend on how things were installed, though, and I don't think this is a likely issue here, until we know more about what steps you have done so far
        First I tried this https://www.amd.com/en/support/graph.../radeon-rx-480
        When I had the issue I reinstalled and then followed the instructions on here. https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Pro...3.7/PREREQS.md

The issue was the same. As for removing the built in driver I didn't realize I needed to remove that one. I don't even know how to do that. If I was suppoed to do that first this might be the problem. How would I do that?

I will reinstall and await further instruction. This way it will be on a clean install.

Thank you

DrClaw

Comment

If doing a fresh install, only follow the github instructions, and reboot.

Before reinstalling, you might try opening the Driver Manager in System Settings, and see if it allows you to choose the non-PRO driver
          If it does, select that, reboot when it finishes, and see if things are back to normal. The file from AMD contain Debian packages, which is what Ubuntu uses for software management, so I think

Actually, AMD give this on how to uninstall it:
          Uninstalling the AMD GPU-PRO Driver
          If for any reason you wish to remove the AMDGPU-PRO graphics stack you can do this using the uninstallation script which was part of the installation and is present in your path. From the command prompt enter the following command:

Code:
          amdgpu-pro-uninstall
          Then reboot.

The PRO driver does not add anything useful for most, it is useful for workstation use, iirc. In some cases, they actually perform worse for games than the normal free driver. The PRO driver is built in top of the free one, actually. The 'normal' driver is the recommended one, usually.
          Last edited by claydoh; Aug 30, 2018, 05:56 PM.

Comment

If doing a fresh install, only follow the github instructions, and reboot.

Before reinstalling, you might try opening the Driver Manager in System Settings, and see if it allows you to choose the non-PRO driver
            If it does, select that, reboot when it finishes, and see if things are back to normal. The file from AMD contain Debian packages, which is what Ubuntu uses for software management, so I think

Actually, AMD give this on how to uninstall it:

Then reboot.

The PRO driver does not add anything useful for most, it is useful for workstation use, iirc. In some cases, they actually perform worse for games than the normal free driver. The PRO driver is built in top of the free one, actually. The 'normal' driver is the recommended one, usually.
            I will give this a try. Uninstall the first one then install the amd one.

DrClaw

Comment

Reinstalled

Ok I reinstalled so on a clean copy. Updated with Apt update and upgrade. I tried your command and it did not exist. How do I remove the current driver so I can install the newest ones. I need Vulkan so from what I understand I either use the steam way or the AMD Pro options. The standard driver doesn't include the needed Vulkan components.

I really appreciate you help. I did find an older site earlier that brough up an interesting point. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD
              Seems I need to reconfigure the monitors from the AMD control panel and not the one built in to KDE. I will wait for your suggestion as I'm new to the desktop environment.

DrClaw

Comment

You installed a clean copy, you do not need to do anything else but add the ppa via the instructions on the github page:

Code:
                sudo add-apt-repository ppa:paulo-miguel-dias/mesa
                sudo apt update
                sudo apt install mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386
                And reboot

That is it. This will update the Mesa drivers the, amdgpu driver, plus install the vulkan drivers as well.

Sorry, I struck out part of my previous post, which broke my ideas on what to do if you did not reinstall.

With websites and documents, be careful with older topics, as they are likely outdated, but still have a lot of google juice just from past history, I think. Always look for something newer and specific to 18.04.
                I do not believe that there is a gui for the newer amdgpu, the older fglrx used to I think. It has been a long while since I used an Ati/AMD gpu. These days one is not usually needed as things are detected and set up automagically. You can use the desktop's display settings to configure your setup, that should not matter.

I hope someone with AMD experience jumps in with their two cents tho, as before too long I'll be talking out my behind, straying further into areas I don't know enough about.

Comment

You installed a clean copy, you do not need to do anything else but add the ppa via the instructions on the github page:

Code:
                  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:paulo-miguel-dias/mesa
                  sudo apt update
                  sudo apt install mesa-vulkan-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386
                  And reboot

That is it. This will update the Mesa drivers the, amdgpu driver, plus install the vulkan drivers as well.

Sorry, I struck out part of my previous post, which broke my ideas on what to do if you did not reinstall.

With websites and documents, be careful with older topics, as they are likely outdated, but still have a lot of google juice just from past history, I think. Always look for something newer and specific to 18.04.
                  I do not believe that there is a gui for the newer amdgpu, the older fglrx used to I think. It has been a long while since I used an Ati/AMD gpu. These days one is not usually needed as things are detected and set up automagically. You can use the desktop's display settings to configure your setup, that should not matter.

I hope someone with AMD experience jumps in with their two cents tho, as before too long I'll be talking out my behind, straying further into areas I don't know enough about.
                  Well I followed all of the instructions and I'm back up with all 3 monitors! whoot! now I just need to know how to see what version of the driver I'm on and how to keep up with the updates. Thanks for everything. If you could post one last thing let me know how to see the current version of the driver.

DrClaw

Comment

You'll stay current with the driver, as the PPA from which it was retrieved is now part of the 'sources' used by apt.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

whoot! Thanks all still would like to know how to check the driver version however I am now starting to finally install all me apps.

DrClaw

Comment

You can open a konsole and type: dpkg -s <packagename> replacing <packagename> with the name of the package you want information on.

So, dpkg -s mesa-vulkan-drivers
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you!

DrClaw

Comment

Working...
                          X