Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Getting to work the precision touchpad on Teclast F7 laptop under Kubuntu 18.04

Hello,

I want to post here how I solved my problem so hopefully it will be of help for someone else too.

Linux didn't detect at all the touchpad of my Teclast F7 (Intel Apollo Lake architecture ultrabook) so I looked around the internet and what worked for me was some kind of combination of what I found in different sources. Here it is:

Download and unzip the patched kernel files from https://github.com/sridwan/Ubuntu-Kernel-for-Teclast-F7 (I downloaded the latest patched version), then open Konsole and type

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and then

Code:
    sudo apt-get install git build-essential kernel-package fakeroot libncurses5-dev libssl-dev ccache
    and choose to keep the local version when asked.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    again and then

Code:
    uname -r
    to check what kernel version is currently used in order to remove it. If the current kernel is lower/older version than the patched one you may not remove it because at boot the system should automatically choose the newer version available.

Code:
    sudo apt remove linux-image-"version"-generic linux-headers-"version"-generic
    Replace "version" with the version of your current kernel.

Code:
    sudo apt remove linux-image-$(uname -r) linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    should automatically identify and remove the current version. Then, from within the directory containing the unzipped kernel files

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i linux*.deb
    to install the new kernel. It probably will throw a bunch of errors so you'll need to type

Code:
    sudo apt --fix-broken install
    and repeat the installation. If it goes well one package will throw an error, that's OK. Type

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    and then reboot your system. If everything is working you'll need to hold the version of some packages because updating them will cause your touchpad to stop working again:

Code:
    sudo apt-mark hold linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic linux-headers-$(uname -r) linux-image-$(uname -r) linux-image-extra-$(uname -r) linux-modules-$(uname -r) linux-modules-extra-$(uname -r)
    You can manually replace $(uname -r) with the version of your newly installed kernel (don't forget to add -generic after the digits). Also, before and after you modify your system don't forget to check if your touchpad is not disabled from the system settings or if you don't just need to turn it on using the function keys of your laptop.

A piece of advice - installing and using TimeShift (http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html) made my life a lot easier until I managed to get this done right.
Working...
X