This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with adding a hard drive

I added a 1 TB hard drive to my desktop. Kubuntu can see it but I can not create folders or do anything with it. Please help me out with this.

Originally posted by exploder View Post
    I added a 1 TB hard drive to my desktop. Kubuntu can see it but I can not create folders or do anything with it. Please help me out with this.
    What file system do you use? If it is ext4 I would think you have to open your KDE partition manager and format the drive. If it is btrfs I would think you have to open your partition manager and ask GreyGeek what to do next.

Comment

If you added the drive and didn't modify your /etc/fstab file to add the appropriate entry for it, then when you boot your PC it will be seen by the OS, but access to it will be restricted to 'root'. Open a konsole and type: sudo blkid and copy/paste the output in your reply. While in the konsole, type: cat /etc/fstab and copy/paste the output in your reply as well.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The output of the first command is.

/dev/sda1: UUID="ab74b0f2-149f-46ec-ba7e-fb5f997aef06" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="1c04ffa4-01"
        /dev/sdb1: UUID="6b5847f1-4999-40f6-ade6-545388d3ec84" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="a267e6de-01

The output of the second one is,

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
        #
        # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
        # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
        # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
        #
        # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
        # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
        UUID=ab74b0f2-149f-46ec-ba7e-fb5f997aef06 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
        /swapfile none swap sw 0 0

Comment

As I suspected; you don't have an entry in /etc/fstab for the second HDD, and that confirms 'why' you can't (currently) access it as the non-root logged in user.

You can edit the fstab file and add the missing entry. Launch Kate (text editor) and open /etc/fstab for editing. Between the line that begins UUID= and the line that begins /swapfile insert the following:

# Next entry manually created by exploder on [the date you edited this file]
          UUID=6b5847f1-4999-40f6-ade6-545388d3ec84 /mnt ext4 defaults 0 2

Save the file (you will be asked to provide your login password, as this is a root owned file). Exit Kate. Perform a logout and reboot of your PC.
          Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 24, 2018, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Thank you! This fixed it, sudo chmod -R a+rwX /media

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post

# Next entry manually created by exploder on [the date you edited this file]
              UUID=6b5847f1-4999-40f6-ade6-545388d3ec84 /mnt ext4 defaults 0 2
              I would think it would be better to make a directory in /mnt to mount the drive to instead of using the /mnt directory it's self their by monopolizing it , maybe /mnt/drive2 or /mnt/sdb1

Thank you! This fixed it, sudo chmod -R a+rwX /media
              that is not a good fix , it's not a good idea to just throw global read/write on /media and whatever is in it (at the moment you ran that command)

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                I would think it would be better to make a directory in /mnt to mount the drive to instead of using the /mnt directory it's self their by monopolizing it , maybe /mnt/drive2 or /mnt/sdb1
                To do what vinny is saying, you would open a konsole and type: sudo mkdir /mnt/sdb1 and when prompted, provide your username login password. This creates a 'permanent' sub-directory under /mnt. IF you did that, then the /etc/fstab entry I provided would have to read:

UUID=6b5847f1-4999-40f6-ade6-545388d3ec84 /mnt/sdb1 ext4 defaults 0 2

(The sub-directory name under /mnt can be anything you want it to be, but the name used can't contain any spaces.)

Comment

Alright, I did as you and Vinnie suggested. What should I do about the permissions though?

Comment

Alright, I did as you and Vinnie suggested. What should I do about the permissions though?
                    Depends on how you want to use it.

If you want to treat it like it was a subdirectory under your home account then actually create that subdirectory, change fstab to reflect it, reboot, then change its userwner to you using chown.

If you want to treat it as a root subdirectory then you already have that, and doing anything with it (adding, removing, editing files) will require the use of sudo or dolphin's root mode.
                    Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 24, 2018, 06:29 PM.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I did get it all sorted out finally. The dive is mounted automatically and the permissions are set the same as home.

Comment

Working...
                      X