This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R9 290x

Before updating to kubuntu 18 I could play most games and run gimp and ink scape no problem.

My gpu has a little led indicator on it showing how much its working (green, yellow, orange, red).

I have never seen it red, I could games on max settings no problem, but since upgrading to 18 I can hardly load any games or even large projects in gimp.
    After a few seconds the indicator starts tweaking out between red and green. I have never seen this before, so i started checking drivers (i don't understand how graphic drivers work).

I have tried to install the drivers AMD has, but they never seen to install properly and when i use the test command to check if they are working i get "unknown command".
    I see now there is some preinstalled amd driver by kubuntu, so i'm not sure if this is why or if it is overriding my drivers / settings.
    I used to have amd catalyst, which ran great, but i can't getting it running.

Does anyone have any idea or suggestions of what to check or what I can do?

What I have done:
    • I have swapped drives and installed kubuntu 17 and it runs fine, so i'm guessing it is something to do with the update
    • Tried installing fglrx-15.302, it asks for password, but then it just stops, it also doesn't let me run it from terminal, i have to execute through dolphin.

Have you tried using the driver manager in System Settings to install the proprietary drivers?
    This generally seems to work better than installing packages (cli or via a package manager), and is far far easier as safer than manually installing them.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, it says there are none. Which is sort of strange? I have a mic that popped up on 17 under the proprietary drivers and it didn't this time, but it does work, so i'm not sure whats happening.
      All my repositories are different than they used to be before the update.

Comment

Well perhaps AMD don't yet have an official driver for 18.04:

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...ase-Notes.aspx
        "Provides initial support for Ubuntu 18.04 and RHEL 7.5. This driver is provided as an early preview release driver which should be considered "as is", may not be supported with further updates, upgrades or bug fixes and should not be installed in production environments."

It might be worth trying out this driver PPA, which has a version of the driver for 18.04 if you are willing to experiment a little:
        https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...aphics-drivers. After asdding it, the driver should show up in the driver manager.

Comment

yeah, I have found that repos. last night and tried it, but no difference. Now i got so many drivers installed idk which one is running.

Is there a way to check which driver is actively running?

--- edit ---

lshw -c video

*-display
          description: VGA compatible controller
          product: Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290/390]
          vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
          physical id: 0
          bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
          version: 00
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
          configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
          resources: irq:77 memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f07fffff ioport:d000(size=256) memory:fe900000-fe9
          3ffff memory:c0000-dffff

looks like i'm using the radeon drivers, how do i switch to the fglrx drivers? Maybe that might be worth a try?

Comment

Is there a error log, for when everything locks up? I would guess theres is one, i'm not sure where it might be.

Comment

Kinfocenter, graphical information link
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

OpenGL
                Vendor: X.Org
                Renderer: AMD HAWAII (DRM 2.50.0, 4.15.0-20-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
                OpenGL version: 3.1 Mesa 18.2.0-devel
                Kernel Module: unknown

Comment

there is no fglrx anymore, not since 16.04, but amdgpu, which does not have an 18.04 release yet. You are likely stuck with a stock 2d driver until one is released by AMD that will work on Ubuntu's kernel/driver stack

As there is no module listed, you are likely using Mesa, via the built-in radeon driver.

glxinfo | grep OpenGL

Any choices show in the Driver Manager?

Comment

It says there are none, in 17 it used to show me two different options.

I am downloading an Ubuntu 18 to test that out and see if the issue goes away.

Comment

Working...
                    X