This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] NVidia GeFarce 6150 no driver

So i'm using a 6 year old eMachines with NVidia graphics, and a nice big Dell 1920x1080 monitor. I quadruple boot Ubuntu MATE 18.04, Mint 18, and the unnamed OS that the machine came with (I haven't used it in years).

I installed Kubuntu 18.04 and I'm trying to get it to work with the NVidia 6150 card but it won't recognize the monitor and the best resolution I can get is 1024x768. I tried going to NVidia's site and downloading the latest driver (304.137) which lists the 6150 card. It won't install because two pages of reasons.

Ubuntu MATE upgraded to 18.04 and works with the card and recognizes the monitor.

Mint won't work on the latest kernel, so I have to boot 4.10 kernel then it works fine.

Yeah, I have to quad boot because at any one time I need just one OS to actually work, and the rest to fiddle with. I was hoping Kubuntu would be the one. It's my #1 recommendation for other folks who have normal machines. Is there any hope for this eMachine?

Use the driver manager in System Settings to install the 304 driver. Give it a few moments to load, and it should show as an option, as well as a newer one if it supports the card.

I will assume that in Mate 18.04 you are not using the proprietary drivers? I am finding the free (Nouveau ) driver to be spotty when detecting my monitor, errr, my shiny new 4k TV, especially after a reboot. Not so much after a full shutdown. Interesting that Mate is seeing the correct resolution, as Kubuntu shares that part of the OS with it. Plasma or mate itself does not do the detection.

You also might try updating the grub from whichever OS is used as the primary, especially if that is the older OS.
    If you are using uefi ,I wonder if that could have an effect as Mate and Kubuntu may be trying to use the same stuff in the EFI folder. An expert hopefully can chime in on that. But I think the 304 driver will be a big help, probably fix it for you.
    Last edited by claydoh; May 02, 2018, 08:56 PM.

Comment

I just installed Kubuntu 18.04 this evening.
      One of the first things to appear after the desktop booted up was a dialog stating that proprietary drivers were available. It specifically listed my NVidia GT 650M chip, which is the secondary video chip and cannot be set in the BIOS to be the primary. My laptop is a 2012 Acer V3-771G 17".

I selected the recommended driver, NVidia-390.
      The install appeared to go smoothly. Under the KGear System menu was the NVidia icon. I clicked on it and the dialog that appeared was NOT like that which appears in a good install. I did not have the option to switch to the NVidia chip, and the nouveau driver (i915) was still running the show. I suspected as much when the ubuntu-drivers dialog re-appeared on my screen.

I compared my Neon install with this one and noticed that the bumblebee, bumblebee-nvidia, nvidia-prime, primus and bbswitch-dmks were not loaded. When I clicked on one in Muon and selected it for installation a total of 34 additional packages were selected. I installed them all. Then I rebooted. It gave me the nvidia desktop and the complete NVidia configuration dialog with all of its settings.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If the driver manager would detect my nvidia it would find me a driver but it doesn't. I used the same iso to run Kubuntu on an Acer laptop and a Chromebook. I also tried downloading and building the correct driver from NVidia, but it leaves me a log file with many errors like:

nvidia.ko failed to build!
        Makefile:261: recipe for target 'module' failed
        make[1]: *** [module] Error 1
        makefile:59: recipe for target 'module' failed
        make: *** [module] Error 2
        -> Error.
        ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.

...and perusal of the NVidia site reveals no answers. I can only see a 640x480 resolution now. I need to boot with "nomodeset". My line in on my audio doesn't work either. Straaange.

So is it KDE, X, systemd, or ... should I just wait until 18.04.1 ?

Comment

Ok, back to fundamentals.
          Did you verify the checksum of the downloaded ISO file, and of the LiveUSB after you burned it?
          What model of eMachine do you have?
          Amount of RAM?
          Have you done a RAM test recently on that eMachine?
          Have you fsck'd the HD recently? Does it have enough space left on it?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Do you have the package dkms installed?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Checked the iso, checked the live stick, installed two other machines with it.
              Got 4G RAM in my eMachine, ET1331G with MCP61PM-GM mobo. RAM test OK. fsck passes; 7 gb used, 30 gb free, which is about right.

Don't have the dkms package installed.

I can get to a root terminal, the live session comes up to the "Try Kubuntu" screen, won't run.

Any other boot option gets me a black screen or a hang in the boot somewhere ("Reached target sound card" or "Started update UTMP about system runlevel changes"). At that point, all my internet STOPS. Other PCs, even the VoIP phone. Power off and it comes right back on. The eMachine is phoning home to Kubuntu??

Comment

In the root terminal have you tried
                startkde

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  In the root terminal have you tried
                  startkde
                  I get "$display not set, or can't connect to x server". kstart says can't connect to x server. startx just laughs at me.

Comment

Here are eight solutions for various problems.
                    https://journalxtra.com/linux/deskto...-desktop-back/

Comment

Working...
                    X