X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 17.10 still doesn't propose upgrade to 18.04

Hi,

I know the upgrade from 17.10 to 18.04 was supposed to be delayed a few days, but it is still not proposed.
    If I run 'discover' not updates are proposed, is it normal ?
    Ii doesn't seem normal since I can run 'sudo do-release-upgrade' and it will not tell me that there is not update available.

thx

Should be working, here are the instructions that are linked from the 18.04 Release Notes:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...grades/Kubuntu
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

thanks for your quick response.

But this is the page I wen to first and, as described in my first post, the 'discover' soft doesn't offer me an update or upgrade option.
      I will add a screencapture when am home to show what I mean.

Comment

Discover in 17.10 won't offer it as upstream KDE ripped the supporting code out. For 16.04 with an earlier version of Discover, it will work when the time comes for that.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
          Discover in 17.10 won't offer it as upstream KDE ripped the supporting code out. For 16.04 with an earlier version of Discover, it will work when the time comes for that.
          Ok so it's a choice to have discover not propose it, alright. But why does the doc says it should ? I'm confused.

So if I want to upgrade to 18.04 I have to do it outside of discover ? Because I'm still missing out the new stuff if I'm staying on 17.10 right ?

Sorry if it sounds stupid but I'm not very in touch with all that stuff and I'm very confused here.

Comment

What acheron was probably trying to say is that KDE developers removed that functionality. Most likely before someone picked it up and edited the docs. As a rule of thumb I do major updates/upgrades from command line. Somehow feel more attuned to whats going on - especially when using Discover not Synaptic. Discover isn't exactly the kind of software manager I would trust for that.

Comment

ok thanks a lot

Comment

Well I did the updgrade with
                Code:
                kdesudo "do-release-upgrade -m desktop -f DistUpgradeViewKDE"

BIG MISTAKE !

I got an errer during the process and finished telling that my system was basically ****ed up, but all will be good if I run
                Code:
                dpkg --configure -a
                WRONG AGAIN

My system is broken. The package that failed seems to be keyboard-configuration with an error I once had years ago. I can't those aren't fixed yet.

Can somebody help me fix my setup please ?

Here are the error I get running
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install -f
                :

eading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree
                Reading state information... Done
                The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
                bbswitch-dkms dkms dvdauthor dvgrab esound-common gcc-7-base:i386 gir1.2-gtk-2.0 kubuntu-wallpapers-artful lib32gcc1 libabw-0.1-1 libarmadillo7 libatk1.0-dev libboost-date-time1.62.0 libboost-filesystem1.62.0 libboost-iostreams1.62.0
                libboost-serialization1.62.0 libboost-system1.62.0 libboost-thread1.62.0 libcairo-script-interpreter2 libcairo2-dev libcamel-1.2-60 libcapnp-0.5.3 libcdio-cdda1 libcdio-paranoia1 libcommons-codec-java libcuda1-384 libedataserver-1.2-22
                libesd0 libfontconfig1-dev libfreetype6-dev libgcr-3-common libgeos-3.5.1 libgl2ps1 libgl2ps1.4 libgles2-mesa libgtk2.0-dev libhdf5-openmpi-100 libhttpclient-java libhttpcore-java libice-dev libicu57:i386 libidn11:i386 libidn11-dev
                libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0 libjsoup-java libkf5libkdepim5abi1 libkf5pimcommon5abi2 liblivemedia58 libllvm5.0 libllvm5.0:i386 liblouis12 liblouisutdml7 libmlt++3 libmlt-data libmlt6 libmovit8 libntfs-3g872 libnvidia-cfg1-390
                libnvidia-common-390 libnvidia-decode-390 libnvidia-decode-390:i386 libnvidia-encode-390 libnvidia-encode-390:i386 libnvidia-fbc1-390 libnvidia-fbc1-390:i386 libnvidia-gl-390 libnvidia-gl-390:i386 libnvidia-ifr1-390 libnvidia-ifr1-390:i386
                libokular5core7 libopencv-core3.1 libopencv-flann3.1 libopencv-imgproc3.1 libopencv-ml3.1 libopencv-photo3.1 libopencv-shape3.1 libopencv-video3.1 libopencv-viz3.1 liborcus-0.12-0 libp11-kit-gnome-keyring libpango1.0-dev libpixman-1-dev
                libplexus-classworlds2-java libplexus-utils-java libre2-3 librtaudio5a librtaudio6 libsm-dev libsodium18 libsox2 libsrtp0 libssl1.0.0:i386 libsuitesparseconfig4 libswt-cairo-gtk-3-jni libswt-gtk-3-java libswt-gtk-3-jni
                libswt-webkit-gtk-3-jni libva-drm1 libva-wayland1 libvlccore8 libvpx4 libvtk6.3 libwagon2-java libwayland-client0:i386 libwayland-server0:i386 libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 libx265-130 libxcb-shm0-dev libxcomposite-dev libxcursor-dev libxft-dev
                libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxnvctrl0 libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev linux-headers-4.13.0-44 linux-headers-4.13.0-44-generic linux-image-4.13.0-44-generic linux-image-extra-4.13.0-44-generic linux-tools-4.13.0-44
                linux-tools-4.13.0-44-generic melt nvidia-dkms-390 nvidia-headless-390 nvidia-kernel-common-390 nvidia-opencl-icd-384 nvidia-prime nvidia-settings nvidia-utils-390 php7.1-zip qml-module-org-kde-kirigami recordmydesktop
                screen-resolution-extra unixodbc x11proto-composite-dev x11proto-randr-dev x11proto-render-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev xserver-xorg-legacy
                Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
                0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                1 not fully installed or removed.
                After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
                Setting up keyboard-configuration (1.178ubuntu2) ...
                git: 'LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.UTF-8' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.
                dpkg: error processing package keyboard-configuration (--configure):
                installed keyboard-configuration package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
                Errors were encountered while processing:
                keyboard-configuration
                E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
                OR sudo dpkg --configure -a :
                pkg: error processing package keyboard-configuration (--configure):
                installed keyboard-configuration package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
                Errors were encountered while processing:
                keyboard-configuration

Comment

My first inclination would be to delete plasma-desktop, do a "sudo apt autoremove" , repeat the two magic cleaner commands several times, reboot into a Konsole and then "sudo apt install plasma-desktop", but, I'm pretty sure that would not work.

What's in your /etc/apt/sources.list file? Does it contain a mixture of 17.10 and 18.04 sources?
                  If so, delete the sources from 17.04 and then run
                  sudo apt update
                  and repeat these several times over and over.
                  sudo apt -f install
                  sudo dpkg --configure -a

If they eventually come back with not errors then do "sudo apt autoremove".

If, after several repeats, they don't come back clean then I'd copy your important information to another HD, USB stick or somewhere, and do a fresh install of 18.04, using Btrfs as the root file system for "/" on /dev/sda1.

Then install the NVidia 390 driver. Then restore you data.

When everything is running nice and you've installed the browser and apps that you want, do a snapshot of @ and @home to back things up. Send & receive them to another HD as either a file ("-f") on another HD, or as a subvolume on another HD that is also formated with Btrfs. Call the snapshots @first and @homefirst. It will only take a few minutes to do manually. There are several posts on this forum explaining how. Then, before every major chainge, update, upgrade, addition of apps, etc., take @ & @home snapshots as @YYYYMMDD and @homeYYYYMMDD, and delete your oldest previous snapshots if you have more than, say, 4 pair.
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 07, 2018, 07:43 PM.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

thanks,

In source.list I have everything as 'bionic'.

I managed to force install the broken package with : [#]sudo dpkg -P --force-all 'le paquet qui bloque'[/#]
                    but I thinks at one point with the clean I agreed to remove lots and lots of packages and I'm afraid it was a bad idea.

I'm too scared to reboot :/

I've never heard of Btrfs, I have ext3 for /, I don't think I'm gonna try that kind of stuff now, especially cause /home is on a different partition so i won't be lost if I have to reinstall.

Also this bug is reported but apparently not solved https://www.mail-archive.com/touch-p...msg250002.html
                    But I had the exact same bug years ago (!)... weird

Comment

IMO, the best course of action you can take is to scrap the install of 17.10, which was at its EndOfLive two months ago, and install Kubuntu 18.04LTS, which has an EOL of 23.04.

IF you don't do that then:

EXT3 is old. If you aren't going to try Btrfs then EXT4 is what you want to use, but that would require a reinstall. If you do that see my point above.

If you decide to continue on:
                      IF repeating these 3 or 4 times:
                      sudo apt -f install
                      sudo dpkg --configure -a

produces no errors then I would reinstall the plasma-desktop to make sure all of its components are installed/updated.
                      sudo apt update
                      sudo apt install --reinstall plasma-desktop

If that comes back clean then I'd do a reboot. If the reboot fails you can go into the recovery option from the grub menu.
                      Otherwise, I'd go on to installing the nvidia-390 driver to get your accelerated graphics back.
                      Once you get everything back and running right install TimeShift from:

https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift

and use it to make backups of your system.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

thx but apt --reinstall doesn't work as I always get that ****ing keyboard-configuration package error.
                        So i cant' install anything.

I decided to install from scratch, booting from a usb key, but then the install hangs just before the "Disk setup" step !!

I'm ****ing fed up with this ****...

Comment

I did manage somehow to fix dpkg problem I think via the grub repair entry. I had to do so many things i don't even remember what i did.

But when I boot I get an ascii style loading screen instead of a nice animated picture and kde doesn't launch I get a login screen on tty1
                          and I have no graphic interface on tt7.

How do I reinstall everything cleanly ?

If i type apt install plasma-desktop I get "package is already installed"

thx

Comment

I tried to reinstall lots of stuff like sddm xorg etc... now when i boot i don't even get to a login terminal. The loading is stuck at some point with a dot blinking continuisly...

don't know what the **** to do.

should never have tried to update, shouldn't have trusted it

Comment

So I take it that you are not in a position where you can download the 18.04 ISO?
                              If so, your only recourse is to use the 17.10 ISO to re-install it. Then, doing nothing else, download the 18.04 ISO, CHECKSUM it, burn it, install it.
                              Don’t get tricky or try anything fancy.

Comment

Working...
                              X